Simple Fire Effect

almorton

We recently did Robin Hood with the young players. This year the set was practically an open stage, just some painted rostra as props. One of them was to have a small campfire painted on it. So I got the set builders to cut the flames shape out of thin ply and space it away from fron the box, and we put some LED tape in the gap. A battery and an RC4 receiver feeding DMX into a cheap 6-channel ebay LED dimmer allowed the box to travel freely on stage on the revolve and be moved. A bunch of effects flickering the LEDs, and it worked surprisingly well.

For candles, fire etc.. I have loaded 2 simple effects with a different frequency running at the same time. Provides excellent randomization with little effort.
Three differing / complementary colours. Set the individual maximum levels per colour in Patch at level, the minimums per colour on your sliders, choose your effects and speed then let it run.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I have a video, but it's too big to upload. Need to shorten it or host it somewhere.

Edit: Until then, a still of the rostrum.
LED-Fire-Rostrum_Moment.jpg

Last edited:
We recently did Robin Hood with the young players. This year the set was practically an open stage, just some painted rostra as props. One of them was to have a small campfire painted on it. So I got the set builders to cut the flames shape out of thin ply and space it away from fron the box, and we put some LED tape in the gap. A battery and an RC4 receiver feeding DMX into a cheap 6-channel ebay LED dimmer allowed the box to travel freely on stage on the revolve and be moved. A bunch of effects flickering the LEDs, and it worked surprisingly well.
VERY cool!
Brilliant, in fact.

That sure beats the days of using florescent starters for flicker effects!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back