Simple question: Source 4 Leko

GavTape

Silly and simple question; black spot in Center of source 4 Leko beam. Focus in or out the black/dark spot is still there; any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Focus with the lens or with the lamp base?

If with the lens, it might just need to be bench focused:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If that's not it, you should take the lens out completely and check the reflector for damage.

Silly and simple question; black spot in Center of source 4 Leko beam. Focus in or out the black/dark spot is still there; any ideas?
The ERS fixture requires a bench focus / lamp alignment / tuning.

1. Make sure the lamp's base is fully seated into the socket (press firmly until it can't go any farther).

From http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/miscdocs/S4_Focus_Tuning.pdf :

s4tuning2.jpg
2. Sounds like you're describing exactly the symptoms of #3.

s4tuning1.jpg
3. Just rotate the smaller, inner knob (counter-clockwise, I think, reverse if the problem gets worse instead of better). Stop rotating when the field is even.

If the dark spot /hot spot is NOT exactly centered, you've more work to do. Watch the video above.

I love to hear it called a leko.
Well, we wouldn't have to do that (and in fact I don't recall hearing "Source Four Leko") until ETC came out with the Source Four PAR. "Source Four" is vague, and "Source Four E. R. S." is too many syllables.

No one seemed to offer this much fuss when we used to call the Altman 360 (Q) a Leko.

I've always called it a Back Focus, from my days in video.

An I wrong or is there two names for the same thing?

I've always called it a Back Focus, from my days in video.

An I wrong or is there two names for the same thing?

Don't worry I'm sure it has at least a dozen names like everything else in this industry. I think it would break the laws of physics if something doesn't have more than one name.

"Well, we wouldn't have to do that (and in fact I don't recall hearing "Source Four Leko") until ETC came out with the Source Four PAR. "Source Four" is vague, and "Source Four E. R. S." is too many syllables."

Besides that I called it a source 4 leko the day I learned of it introducrion , I don't think the par made it vague since the truely unique aspect of each is the lamp and the filament in particular. Source 4 ERS led does have a lot of problems however. Personally I have taken to generally to profile and wash to separate lekos/ERS/s4 from fresnels/pars. Profile seems to characterize what makes that class of fixtures unique regardless of inventors or reflector or source.

And you now have a large group of kids that call every ERS fixture a Source 4. Bet no one saw that coming.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kleenex anyone? Let me make a Xerox of that. It happens.

My favorite are people I know that clarify EVERYTHING as either a Leko or Fresnel.
The way it works is simple:
If it produces a small blob of intense light, it's a Leko!
If it produces a large blob of soft light, it's a Fresnel!

If it produces a small blob of intense light, it's a Leko!
If it produces a large blob of soft light, it's a Fresnel!

Or alternately, everything is referred to as a "can" unless it moves; then it is a Vari*Lite.

And you now have a large group of kids that call every ERS fixture a Source 4. Bet no one saw that coming.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Guilty. Being in Wisconsin and relatively young, I have only had to work with an ERS that wasn't a Source 4 on about 5 occasions. I currently only have etc ERSs, pars, parnels, and fresnels. So although my students are taught the correct terms in the class, the ones that work with me know the fixtures as Source 4s, pars, work lights, cyc lights and fresnels.

I didn't even know the term leko until I started reading this forum. I just referred to them as ellipsoidals.

side note: it's funny how fast a train of thought can derail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back