Simulated Lightbulb Shattering

Hey everybody, first post here!

I'm a high school student and I manage most things pertaining to tech in my high school drama department. Almost everything I know is self taught (a good and bad thing), and I'd like to pick the good minds of some of you far more experienced effects personnel.

We are performing the play "Wait Until Dark", and if you are familiar you will know there is a seen where the protagonist shatters some light bulbs on stage. I'd like to make a convincing effect for these without the danger of loose glass on stage. Is there a precedent for "stage" light bulb props? We will be doing about 14 shows, so an affordable and repeatable method would be preferred (all input is appreciated though, even if just stories! I love learning about this stuff). I've been thinking sugar glass or acrylic pieces, but I'm sure there's a more effective method.

If you need more information about our resources, I'd be happy to oblige (keep in mind we performed a labor-of-love Macbeth show last semester, so we aren't as affluent as we'd otherwise be). Thanks for the read!

EDIT: I noticed that this is "Lighting and ELECTRICS" not "Lighting and EFFECTS", and that this thread would better fit in the "Special Effects" thread section. Sorry!

So the actor is throwing light bulbs? Sounds like you are looking for a sugar glass effect. If so, look in to these. There may be others out there. This was just a cursory Google search.

There are also some tutorials online on how to make the formula yourself. Seems tricky though - I'd go store-bought.

If the light bulbs need to be "on" when shattered, boy I don't know what to tell you (other than recommending a very tightly-focused special on the sugar glass bulb).

According to wikipedia an actress goes around the apartment breaking all the light bulbs in the fixtures except one. It could be done with a lighting cue and a sound effect.

According to wikipedia an actress goes around the apartment breaking all the light bulbs in the fixtures except one. It could be done with a lighting cue and a sound effect.

Probably the best option. Buying however many bulbs needed for 14 shows from Alfonso's gets expensive fast! Heck, make it a foley effect so you get to build a crash box and some kid gets a job to do during the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did Wait Until Dark some time ago. We used safety lamps made for the construction trade. They are covered with a silicone(?), used to be rubber, that contains any broken glass. Our actress's action broke the lamp about a third of the time as we took a Q that killed the power to it. Once in awhile we saw the flash of the filament frying in the oxygen if she was a split second faster than us taking the Q. The glass is contained due to the coating. For 32 performances it cost us maybe 8 or 10 lamps. If they didn't break they were good for another show.

This month for our current show, Legends, we needed one for a lamp that gently meets the floor. No breakage so far but there is the peace of mind that we won't have loose glass if it does break. We found some this time at a Home Depot. I think they were 75w.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back