Simulcast Camera for second space (high quality)

I have seen a lot of discussions regarding what camera is best for backstage monitors, but they tend to be of lower quality. This is just fine and dandy if the video is being used by a stage manager to call the show, or if it's for the cast to view from the dressing rooms, but I need more functionality than that.

I work at a theatre where our mainstage is often too small to accommodate the crowds. We have a second space (black box) which we offer as overflow. We project the performance onto a large (20') screen. The current problem is picture quality (my projector is great, it's the camera that's the problem).

I'm looking to invest in a high quality fixed camera with the following capabilities:
-HDMI or better
-Able to handle low light as well as full light without the obnoxious 15-20 second refocus that often comes with cheaper cameras

Since our patrons pay to see the show, it's not fair to them that they are currently watching a blurry screen.

I'm more of a rigger/electrician/carpenter, so I'm a bit out of my league when it comes to video. I'm hoping to get suggestions on make/model and feedback from those who have cameras that work well for this.

Thanks!

What's your budget?

My budget is "whatever it takes to do it right the first time"

But seriously... anything up to $750 would be reasonable in my mind. I'm willing to look at higher numbers if need be...

What I don't want to do is rule out the right options without first understanding the value of the equipment. I know what I don't know... and that'd video equipment.

What is the control? PTZ camera/controller, set-it-and-forget-it on a camera mount, or a manual operator at a tripod?

How well is your stage lit?

How well does your background contrast your foreground? (i.e., do you have a lot of people in dark clothing standing in front of a black background kind of thing)

How far back is your camera position from your stage?

Do you need a pretty static shot or do you need to be able to zoom back and forth between "talking head mode" and wide-shot mode?

Before you upgrade your camera, are you sure that your projector is bright enough and high enough resolution that the increased quality of a new camera will not be lost on your existing projector?

I was planning on set it and forget it. I might consider a PTZ for lectures, but it would still be a "set it for the event" and forget it. Price vs. flexibility would be a factor here.

The stage is well lit with Source Fours. Good coverage.

Background contrast varies. I would assume dark clothes and dark backgrounds at times.

Camera is located at back of house. About 60' from front of stage and 100' from back. Stage is a 40'w x 22'h proscenium.

Shot would be static. Definitely full stage (dance, plays, musicals, orchestra), and if a PTZ then also zoomed (lectures, award ceremonies) but it would remain at same focus for the run of each event.

The projector is very decent, we show HD movies on it and it looks great. Regardless, I'd prefer to err on the side of a camera that's over-spec'd so that the image is maximum quality. Also, it will future proof me against the purchase of a new projector (if overflow ticket sales justify it, this could be a future upgrade)

750$ won't get you much in the lines of higher quality.

I was going to suggest a broadcasting camera but after buying all the necessary equipment to set it and forget it you would be looking toward 12k.

The canon xa30 is going to be the lowest yet most bang for your buck. Anything lower than that well it's hit or miss.

For 750$ ish range you should look into some of the 4K cameras that are out.

Maybe see if a rental house in your area will come out and demo the different types if that is even is a thing.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'm rather surprised that video technology is so high priced with what can be packed in such a small package these days. 12k is well out of my budget, but I could work up to $2,500 before needing approval from our Board of Directors.

Is there anything 1 or 2 tiers higher within that range that you might recommend?

The Canon professional camcorders are decent.

I'm also a fan of the Black Magic Micro Cinema cameras if you want something low-profile with better than average dynamic range. Expect to spend $1500 on a good lens for that though. I use the Canon L-series lenses for my personal kit which are a premium cost but constant aperture. If you zoom in, the aperture remains the same so your image brightness is consistent.

With a standard lens, as you zoom in the aperture crunches down your brightness. So you could have a lens where at the wide angle it fits your stage proscenium well and is nice and bright but when you zoom in for a talking head event it extinguishes your brightness and you end up with a noisy image after you crank your brightness back up artificially through digital gain. This is a function of how the lens works and unless explicitly stated otherwise you should assume any lens or camera operates this way.

There's a world of difference between consumer grade and broadcast-quality cameras so I would keep your expectations ratcheted down and purchase through someone like B&H who tends to have a rather generous return policy.

I cannot stress enough the importance of having the appropriately sized lens for the room and camera position. If you don't have a constant aperture lens but have to zoom in all the way to the narrow end of the lens you will be throwing away on the magnitude of 70-90% of the brightness you would have from the wide angle end of the lens. You could have a dozen 50A fresnels pointed at your stage and it will wouldn't be bright enough to get a quality image.

Last edited:
Mike hit the nail on the head on all points. BH is a great place to start. Before you buy maybe see if someone would come in from a local station and give you some pointers on your facility and could recommend a starter camera in your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back