Singin' in the Rain

Eboy87

Yesterday was our huge end of year street festival; 3 stages, tons of stuff to do in the South Loop. It also rained yesterday. One of the stages was already cancelled because of the weather, after I set it up (twice... which is a story in itself). Mainstage was cancelled about an hour later because of standing water, and a thunderstorm that was going to move through. I got the call over the radio that we were pulling the plug, then someone comes up to me as I'm pushing the console lid across the parking lot.

Girl: "Why are you guys packing everything up? I thought this went to 7."
Me: "We have to shut down because of the weather."
Girl: "Can't you just play in the rain?"
Me: "There's standing water on stage with all the electricity. We have to shut down for safety."
Girl: "So? Just don't use anything with electricity."
Me: blank stare

This is after arguing with the ice cream vendor (who already took up two of my circuits for their coolers :evil:) about their spider box standing in a puddle of water. Why is it people can't grasp the concept water + electricity = not good?

Still, a good time was had by all. We had to move the main stage into the theatre due to conflicting events (another long story). Here's some pictures.

View from FOH on the Mainstage:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mainstage in the Getz Theatre (the PA was a bit overkill for the room :twisted:)
proxy.php

Why is it people can't grasp the concept water + electricity = not good?

I've learned in giving people assistance with other things that I'm fairly knowledgeable at that we often take for granted what people do and don't understand.

I've learned in giving people assistance with other things that I'm fairly knowledgeable at that we often take for granted what people do and don't understand.

yeah, but this is something that people are taught from a young age. even before i knew how to add 2+2, i knew water+electricity=bad

What I think is funny is that the girl obviously thought that the fact that the band sounded so well-mixed and crisp was their God-given vocal and instrumental talent.

Just a comment about the photo, I took my nice SLR with me to a rehearsal a few weeks ago. I snapped away, photographing everything that interested me, and I took the sideways semi focussed photo of the audio console, the lighting console and the vision mixer. I think it's fair to say that most pictures of consoles are taken on an angle and are partially in focus.
Here are my obviously unique photos:
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Nick

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back