Singing Christmas Tree

Anyone have experience or resources for building a multitiered singing Christmas tree for a choir?
@kjones9999 Think back to when disco was king. Remember some of the bizarre controllers with dual SCR's or TRIAC's in both the hot and neutral load wires?
One common trick was to have six or eight circular conductors encircling the tree (or tree shaped supporting structure)
and another six or eight vertical conductors running up from the lower, larger diameter, end of the tree to the point at the top of the tree.
Incandescent lamps of several colors were placed at, and connected across, where each circular conductor met each of the vertical conductors.
The barely legal magic in the controller gated all of the circular conductors full on (100%) then flashed and chased the vertical conductors in a variety of patterns. This created vertical stripes performing tricks around the tree.
Next, the controller gated all of the vertical conductors full on (100%) then flashed and chased the circular conductors resulting in the vertical stripes remaining on while the rings encircling the tree flashed and chased.
At the time, the concept of having essentially electronic switches in both the hot and neutral conductors was a barely legal concept sneered at by many; but oh how phenomenal some of those tricks appeared in the era; even more so when performed rhythmically in time with the disco hits of the era. 'Love To Love You Baby' and 'Ring My Bell' were never the same. @Derek may remember the era, along with @BillConnerFASTC , although Mr. Bill was just a young 'un back in the day.
@kjones9999 Googling "disco lighting controllers" MAY dredge up something for you.
EDIT: @kjones9999 Here's a link for you:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
Ron- Thanks for the reply.

I should have clarified-- I am looking to build the platforms/support for people to sit on in a "tiered" manner.
@kjones9999 Now that your vision is coming into view, I've a few more queries for you:
a; How many in the choir?
b
; How old / how heavy / grade one, grade six, grade twelve 300 pounders??
c
; How many levels are you envisioning???
d; How tall; the tree, not the choir????
e
; Is welded steel in your vocabulary or is this a bubble gum and wet string project?????
f
; What's your budget??????
g
; How soon does it need to be completed with the paint dry???????
@Van
@bobgaggle Have you any useful thoughts for @kjones9999 ????????

Last edited:
I consulted on a church where the Living Christmas Tree was a tradition. It was home built, and fairly "flat" rather than round in plan. Tiers were 30 or 36 inches apart - height - and maybe 5 or 6 levels above the floor. They hung or lashed real pine branches to railings. Gave me some more code thoughts....

I interestingly, I don't believe they ever did it in their new building.

@kjones9999 Now that your vision is coming into view, I've a few more queries for you:
a; How many in the choir?

** around 50
b
; How old / how heavy / grade one, grade six, grade twelve 300 pounders??

** Dorito-laden high schoolers
c
; How many levels are you envisioning???
**At least 6....
d
; How tall; the tree, not the choir????
** My Trim height is 22 so 19-20 feet.
e
; Is welded steel in your vocabulary or is this a bubble gum and wet string project?????
*** MOre comfortable with wood framing
f
; What's your budget??????
*** Around $1500
g
; How soon does it need to be completed with the paint dry???????
**** December 1
@Van
@bobgaggle Have you any useful thoughts for @kjones9999 ????????

Thanks!

Or America's largest - 240 singers. (Seems to me I heard of one of these that caught fire and I can't recall if people died or not. In Texas of course - where theyhave those great ceremonial fires.) This is the Mona Shores Choir Association.

proxy.php

$1500 to *safely* support 50 people 20 feet in the air? Uh....

You need to consult building code and your insurer. If this fails there will be significant injuries and possible loss of life. There was a "living tree" that collapsed a couple years ago that killed 2 choir members, IIRC. Not sure what came of it as it was settled privately and NDAs were required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back