size

simchapup

Lighting Technician
alright as most of you know im going to get gobos i have asked for the gobo sizes no reply so if anyone can give me advice i know there source 4's but dont know the company if anyone can recomend a size that is almost universal the theatres website is www.planocourtyardtheater.com theres light plots and virtual tours of the house if that will help

do you mean what sized gobos go into a S4?
if thats the case, then its size B gobos.
if that wasnt your question, try to refraise it a bit and ill reanswer, unless someone understands it and answers it before me.

A quick look at the lighting plot on their website tells you that they only have 26' and 36' Source4's (assuming you haven't figured out how to put a gobo into a Source4 PAR or a 6" fresnel, I commend you if you find a way). Thusly, you would want to buy B sized gobo's (though A sized will fit if you do some trimming around the edges).

I would also suggest making sure that the theater has enough gobo holders and doughnuts (if you so desire them).

Also, punctuation helps, I had to read your post 2 times before I understood what you meant.

Both A and B will fit in S4's, .... I use A for everything.....they will also fit in most other fixtures, except for the s4 JR... also i would highly recomend getting city theatricals sandwich holders

Last edited:
Actually, I find that size B fits in more. Size B will also fit in the Altman Shakespeare, though you would need a different holder.

Can't you use any size gobo, or does it have to be a certain size? I have no experience with replacing them. They do look cool though.

mbandgeek said:
Can't you use any size gobo, or does it have to be a certain size? I have no experience with replacing them. They do look cool though.

You can use any size you please.. .as long as it fits in the holder... A is bigger, therefor it lets through more light... B is smaller.. Less light.... it just depends on the fixture and throw on what you use...

Generally, the 'A' size offers more for break-up use, as the outer edges of the condensor lens have a tendency to blur the image. Not a big deal for a break-up, as the image is usually projected out of focus anyway.

The 'B' size gobo is a better tool when a hard edge projection is required, also with glass patterns for the same reason.

As stated, the gobo holder you have on hand MAY determine which size you want to run with, assuming you want to save a few quid using your existing gobo holders.

You may view several types of gobo holders at this link to determine which may work best for you in the future-

http://www.internetapollo.com/products/search.aspx?t=holder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back