SJ cable regulations

fosstech

I remember reading somewhere on here a while back that SJ cable was OK if used on a batten. I seem to remember that there was a maximum length too, something like 3 feet. Any of the code gurus (e.g. ship) know off the top of their head? I need to make a few shorter jumpers for our new borderlights since the connectors on the electrics are too far apart for all four of the whips on the end unit to reach four separate circuits.

3' is code for a class one or was that 1A type of theater application. Otherwise if other than that in classification, you are allowed while supported by way of truss and perhaps by pipe to do longer lengths for temporary install but not as a drop from the truss to the stage deck or for use on the floor. This granted it's a normal rule broken or wavered.

That's from memory. 3' Rule for theaters is correct. Time to invest in and read such sections than others in the NEC Handbook if making these desciscions for your theater as to what you will be using. The theater or at least library should have a copy on the shelves for you to at very least to study from such questions. If they don't they should get a copy for you.

This granted that you sound as if student and there is other liabilities involved her by way of where are your supervisors that already know these rules advising and instructing you? This or whaht if in doing the jumper incorrecty, what happen to you and the program? Cation and supervison must always be expressed when doing wiring

I understand your concern about students and electricity. Properly putting together these is my greatest priority. I know what can go wrong, and when in untrained hands, electricity can kill easier than a firearm. I'm not just yer average high school techie, I've worked on the crew of an electrician who is a good family friend. I've assisted in wiring houses, a wood shop, and various other little electrical projects that he does. He's a well respected electrican who runs his own company.

The administration and technical director are fine with it, but only because I know enough about what I'm doing to be safe. My TD has openly admitted to me that I know more about electrical theory and methods than he does ;)

And judging by the condition and craftsmanship of the four extensions that were there when I got there, the work I'm doing is making the space safer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be cocky here. None of my work has ever posed a safety hazard, nor has it ever injured somebody or damaged a piece of equipment. I had the previous jumpers I made out of 12/3 SO inspected by our lighting rep from our theatre supply company (he's been hired as ME for a few high profile gigs in San Diego, as well as working as LD for a local theatre), and he approves of my work.

And that's all I'm going to say on that topic. I guarantee people on here are going have differing opinions, but I, along with my TD and theatre manager, along with the school administration trust me with this. That's one of the major problems with forums, you really can't tell how much people know.

So in response to your answer, I'll look up the code. The jumpers will not be used for anything other than the borderlights on the pipe. I might need to make a couple five footers to reach the next circuit. I really wish we had pigtails instead of panel mounted connectors!

fosstech said:
I've worked on the crew of an electrician who is a good family friend. I've assisted in wiring houses, a wood shop, and various other little electrical projects that he does. He's a well respected electrican who runs his own company.

So what was his answer to this question?

Given your experience, I am surprised that you didn't look up the NEC handbook in the first place.

He didn't know, since he never works in theatres. I don't have an NEC handbook, and was too lazy to drive over to the library down town to look it up. Easier, cheaper, and faster to post here ;)

Maybe I'll buy one when I start going to Ithaca College next fall, but I don't do enough stuff yet that would require looking at the book. The $100 cost hasn't been justified yet, in my opinion.

fosstech said:
He didn't know, since he never works in theatres. I don't have an NEC handbook, and was too lazy to drive over to the library down town to look it up. Easier, cheaper, and faster to post here ;)

Maybe I'll buy one when I start going to Ithaca College next fall, but I don't do enough stuff yet that would require looking at the book. The $100 cost hasn't been justified yet, in my opinion.

It's something that your school should invest in either for the theater office or the library if nothing else given the work students are doing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back