SJO cable in a theater

Perhaps but doing either contrary to the legislation regulating those activities is a crime and is simply wrong. In that regard, they are the same.

In the same sense that driving 5mph over the speed limit and driving drunk are both crimes. The first isn't likely to ever harm anyone. The 2nd leaves you with a decent chance of causing great harm to yourself and others.

I would like to ask one thing about this whole SO thing:

Is there an electrical reason why we use SO cable? Or is it simply because the heavier insulation protects it better from smashing, crushing, or slicing?

Second, SO is a PITA to strip. Is there an effective tool for doing that, other than my pocketknife?

Yes there is a tool. An adjustable depth blade and saddle. Set it on and spin it around the so. I've maintained a lot of cable for several years.

I would like to ask one thing about this whole SO thing:

Is there an electrical reason why we use SO cable? Or is it simply because the heavier insulation protects it better from smashing, crushing, or slicing?

Second, SO is a PITA to strip. Is there an effective tool for doing that, other than my pocketknife?

No electrical reasons, just the heavier insulation.

Or is it simply because the heavier insulation protects it better from smashing, crushing, or slicing?
Exactly. Cords are subject to great abuse on a stage, hence the "extra hard usage" requirement.

Is there an effective tool for doing that, other than my pocketknife?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000WU49A/?tag=controlbooth-20
proxy.php

I could swear they used to be about $10. Good thing I don't need another one.

BTW, our resident wiring expert. @ship, doesn't like these--too easy to nick the inner conductor insulation.
First concept is the stripper, is it cutting or ripping away. How easily does it adjust for various thicknesses of jackets and conductors? How properly adjusted is it for what you are cutting? Is it nicking the insulation on inner conductors or nicking copper to conductors? Why bother?

Nick the inner conductors to an outer jacket by way of utility knife stripping it or automatic cable stripper and once that cable gets some use and or tension from pulling and that little nick is the stress pint that turns into a cut. That cut than turns into something that just needs moisture to turn into a short. I don’t accept automatic cable strippers other than for ethernet or BNC cable. And in those cases I’m very much adjusting to make sure the stripper is set properly.

Pinch pull method with dikes and a good pair of wire strippers where the jaws surround the conductor not just come together at the conductor is what I recommend. First the dikes in the pinch/pull technique described earlier ensures that the blades are nowhere near the inner conductors or at least on theormoplastic or Euro cable, just nicking the outer conductor in no worse a way than the other techniques. The wire strippers by way of control of them and what the heck use does automatic wire strippers for individual conductors have anyway?

In practice, I've found it works well for me. But attention must be paid. Mine seems to drift out of adjustment after frequent use; not cutting deep enough at least, rather than too deep.

I've also used the same tool to strip that I use to cut the cable, but that requires even more attention and experience.
proxy.php

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00093GCK0/?tag=controlbooth-20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back