Skirpan Dimmer-Lamp Project!

microstar

I recently added to my analog dimmer collection by purchasing a Skirpan SED-3C dimmer module off eBay. Tested it upon arrival and it worked perfectly; not bad for something made in the late 60's/early 70's.
The module is massive-- about 6" wide x 10" tall x 19" deep and weighing 19 pounds for one 3K dimmer! I had an PLS (Packaged Lighting Services) 6" fresnel with a funky lamp sled that used a R7s double-ended lamp, so sourced a 78mm long LED retrofit lamp to cut down on the heat. The Skirpan dimmed it beautifully. Re-located the front panel trim control to the inside and put the control potentiometer in its place. Used a 24vdc wall wart mounted on the rear panel to provide the control voltage. Also pictured below my other dimmer-lamp creations, 2 Electro Controls models and a Kleigl.

Attachments

• angle all 1.JPG
    angle all 1.JPG
    334.9 KB · Views: 112
  • dimmer top angle.JPG
    dimmer top angle.JPG
    351.5 KB · Views: 124
  • front CU.JPG
    front CU.JPG
    354.3 KB · Views: 112
  • rear connections.JPG
    rear connections.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 130
  • R80front copy.jpg
    R80front copy.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 119
  • ElectroControlsFront.JPG
    ElectroControlsFront.JPG
    811.8 KB · Views: 110
  • EC Blk Angle All1.JPG
    EC Blk Angle All1.JPG
    312.2 KB · Views: 112
On an unrelated note, I always picture Arte Johnson appearing from the foliage with one of those Kliegl lanterns on his head.

Once Apon a long time ago, I used to take "newer" Skirpan control cards to "update" the Kleigl R80's. The Skirpan cards could control SCR dimmers 0-10/12/24V and required minimal mounting modification. They were very easy to trim, and had much better temperature drift.

On an unrelated note, I always picture Arte Johnson appearing from the foliage with one of those Kliegl lanterns on his head.
Verrrrrry interesting...

Once Apon a long time ago, I used to take "newer" Skirpan control cards to "update" the Kleigl R80's. The Skirpan cards could control SCR dimmers 0-10/12/24V and required minimal mounting modification. They were very easy to trim, and had much better temperature drift.
Do you remember which Skirpan control card you used? The R80 has an edge connector on the card that plugs into a chassis-mounted connector.

Looks like we used a Skantronics Inc (A SKIRPAN company) SKT-TTD A6B/A7B Thyristor Driver. All the paperwork is dated 1985-1986. Looks like (pre my time) people were using an earlier version SKT-TTD-A6A/A7A before that.
Oh...looks like they were Kleigl R66's. I don't know if that matters. If wanted....when I get a chance (ha ha ha ha) ....I can try to scan what I have for the SKT-TDD: Manuals, full schematics, price lists, parts list, etc. I also have service manuals, etc for the R66's.

Looks like we used a Skantronics Inc (A SKIRPAN company) SKT-TTD A6B/A7B Thyristor Driver. All the paperwork is dated 1985-1986. Looks like (pre my time) people were using an earlier version SKT-TTD-A6A/A7A before that.
Oh...looks like they were Kleigl R66's. I don't know if that matters. If wanted....when I get a chance (ha ha ha ha) ....I can try to scan what I have for the SKT-TDD: Manuals, full schematics, price lists, parts list, etc. I also have service manuals, etc for the R66's.
I checked my files and found I have the complete tech spec sheets/schematics/pricing from 1986/87 for both the Skantronics SKT-TTD A6B/A7B and A6A/A7A cards! I had forgotten about those....thanks for the memories.
If you get around to finding the R66 service manual, that would be of interest to me to see how similar it is to my R80. Certainly no rush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back