SL issue

I just had a thought, Could there be some magnetic forces being created by the internal wiring of the fixture, causing a "inductor like" response?

You had that lamp stored away how long?! Did you keep it as a souvenier to remind you not to buy from that company again or did it mistakenly role into the desk drawer and stay there for 15 years?

It sat on the desk for a month in case I had to offer it up as a suppository to the dealer. Then one day I was cleaning off my desk (read as: opened draw and ran arm across desk to clear it), and in it went. Been there ever since.

Actually, I got full credit for the case, and continued to use them as a distributor. Never had any other problems, so it was just one of those things.

Tungsten is an odd thing. I often wondered just what the heck they wind it around at that temperature! (melts around 10,000 F)

well... i entirely ripped the lamp to pieces today, adjusted everything there was to adjust, benched it, test and tag it, and ran it for over an hour off a regular gpo in the work room without any issues.

i am going to put it back into the rig tonight and see if the same fault occurs.
i have put a GE lamp in it as it was the only one i had left instead of a phillips, looking likely that it was a bad batch of lamps...

i have included a pic of the last bubble it blew.

Attachments

• 18122007187.jpg
    18122007187.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 128
yep just a standard power point but we refer to it as a GPO in the theatre to ensure it is entirely separate from LX patch and cannot be confused.

they have actually just changed it from GPO to something else as the 'laymen' discovered the secret electricians code and they didnt like that!

Ok, it could just be the lighting in the picture, but the filament looks dark, and I am used to the plaster goop in the base being bright white. How new are these lamps? The filaments are usually a bright silver in color. Again, if it's just the way the picture came out, disregard. But, if it is dark like that the lamps might have a bad seals and some O2 got in. When a lamp breaks and is turned on, the oxide is white/yellow in color, but when there are only trace amounts, it tends to just darken like that. Lamps that had trace leakage, or some air from the factory, usually do fail in a very short time.

yeah you may be right, it isnt as bright as it normally is but then on the other hand it isnt really that dull. the thing that struck me as weird was where the two legs are coming up out of the base into the bubble, there are two points on them that are burnt, almost as if it has shorted across that point. i think you can just see it in the picture.

I agree with dj illusions on his observation. That would be a manufacturer defect.

Part of the problem with doing optically better tight filaments is keeping them from shorting between coils. This could become a problem if the lamp were like 20 years old due to the filament sagging over time and rough handling as a theoreticical problem. Could also have been a faulty hanger - glass hanger bars are especially fragile and prone to problems, or a weak spot where the filament was attached to the lead in wire.
Lots of new Leko lamps under development TBA in the coming years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back