Sl660 vs Color Force 72

ccrews

The SL660 can be had for about $1500 at a local vendor near me. My concern is the width spread is said to be pretty good on the unit (sideways spread so units can be a distance from one another on the baton), which is great to some extent. But, I really like the uniformity (for block by block color control, chases, rainbows and such) of butted together pixel LED strips such as the CF72 type. The CF's are more money though. I have a 60'x24' cyc that I typically light 40' of. My concern is with the wider side to side throw and spreading the SL660's I would have poor results emulating the same looks I could get on the CF72 type fixtures.

What says the hive mind?

We actually just bought 7 of the SL660's for our stage and we have a 54' x 20' cyc that we light about 40' of and we absolutely love them. As the LD I side by side tested the CF72's and the SL660's and found that I really enjoyed the mapping and chase effects available to me of the SL660's and can do great rainbow effects. They are also wicked bright and we run them at around 50% intensity. The color mixing capabilities are also fantastic and have had no problems with them.

That's just my two cents.

So it sounds like you butt them up to one another, do you get hot spots in the overlapping light fields? I love the roscolux cyc silk amber, how close can you get to that color with the SL660's?

We have about 1 foot of space in between the units, however we don't notice any hotspoting where the fixtures overlap. I find that with the right color mixing with the color picker you can get to any color that you need to very easily and accurately. From my experience using them over the past couple of months if you are running an ETC board do not use the Gel picker as this is not as accurate as using the color picker with your touchscreen or mouse. The colors just aren't quite right.

Why don't you get a demo of both fixtures and do a side by side comparison?

I'd be happy to set something up for you on the CQ end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back