Slave Mode?

DCATTechie

When companies describe the modes the light can run in, as you all know there is Stand-Alone, DMX, and Slave mode? 2 are pretty much self-explanatory but what is slave mode? And how is it used?

Set one unit in stand-alone, link to the rest with cable, and put the rest in slave. This makes the stand-alone the master, and the rest slaves. Basically, they will now all move "together", or at least on the same beat. This feature is in there for DJ's who don't want a controller, but just turn them on and let them go.

Basically you have a Master and a Slave (or a number of slaves). Say you have some RoboScan 518's and you have them all linked via DMX. You put one on master, and the others on slave. Whatever the Master does, the slaves will emulate (copy) so all fixtures will be following the master and thus doing the same thing!

Its pretty handy for smaller gigs if you're on your own and you just want the lights doing something.

Just remember in California to use the term Secondary, I remember hearing years ago on TechTV from Leo Laporte I think it was that using the term "Slave" was illegal or something along those lines when discussing Master and Slave on CD-Roms / HardDrives.

Just remember in California to use the term Secondary, I remember hearing years ago on TechTV from Leo Laporte I think it was that using the term "Slave" was illegal or something along those lines when discussing Master and Slave on CD-Roms / HardDrives.

It's not illegal, just not PC

It's not illegal, just not PC

Which is why I was going to refrain from the humor of this being posted in Feb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back