Sliding console cover

RideTheSquirrel

So I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I need help finding something. Has anybody ever purchased a sliding console cover with a lock on it before? I'm trying to find a professionally produced product that we could bolt onto our booth in a less often used space on our campus. We have an element we just bought to replaced the old console there and a 16 channel macke over there. I'm trying to find something that will slide over it and lock to deter from theft. Otherwise during the normal use of this recital hall people could come in and take the item with relative ease. Trying to be asthetically pleasing as well...

So anyways, has anybody hunted around for this before and what did you find? Money isn't really a huge issue...I know we could build one but boss wants to try to find something professionally made first. Thanks in advance, guys (and gals)!

Sounds like you're looking for a roll top desk. Typical product we recommend: http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/ERT-ST

There are cheaper wood versions of these desks as well, but we found they didn't last very long. I'm assuming the consoles don't sit in a separate room that could be locked off?

If it where me I'd look into facilities or your carpentry department building you something. Wood and Plexiglass will keep most curious fingers away, and could easily be made custom for you space. It won't stop a determined thief, but hopefully the noise they make getting in would alert someone.

Sounds like you're looking for a roll top desk. Typical product we recommend: http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/ERT-ST

There are cheaper wood versions of these desks as well, but we found they didn't last very long. I'm assuming the consoles don't sit in a separate room that could be locked off?

These consoles are actually on a big booth table that resides at the top of the hall. This is open with no doors to it, but it's out of the way enough (there are entrances to the hall on both sides of this). Basically I need the roll-top unit only. I would just attach it to the existing booth (large counter-type typical booth area) so that I could secure the consoles.

Does this help make any more sense about what I'm talking about? Let me see if I can rustle up some pics of this particular space...

Not sure if the metal roll up windows like for concession stands could be used horizontally for a countertop in the way you're thinking, but might be worth exploring by contacting a commercial door or window company.

I know exactly what you're talking about, pretty sure I have what you speak of.
My school's booth is exposed, both our lighting console and sound mixer have plywood boxes that are built into the table, with a 3-piece (plywood) accordion-style cover that folds back, and has a padlock on the bottom/side. Simple, easy to build, clean and effective. I can get a picture tomorrow if you want.

If on a counter or table, consider a wood "box" with one open side, and just set it over the console and lock to table, perhaps with hasps and a cable lock. A cut out along back edge for cables. Probably would help to have a way to lay displays flat or a separate box.

One theatre that I've worked at has similar and that's how we're redoing my current theatre. The box latches on top and locks (basically becoming part of the desk) and when it's not needed it's lifted off and sat aside.

I know exactly what you're talking about, pretty sure I have what you speak of.
My school's booth is exposed, both our lighting console and sound mixer have plywood boxes that are built into the table, with a 3-piece (plywood) accordion-style cover that folds back, and has a padlock on the bottom/side. Simple, easy to build, clean and effective. I can get a picture tomorrow if you want.

If you could post some pictures that would be amazing.

@BillConnerASTC I really like that idea as well. Mostly because perhaps we've all been there mixing out of a built box (which is what is currently there, but for old equipment we have recently replaced which is not even close to the same dimensions) that you have to rest your palm on and reach down a little bit into to move submasters or even press the G-O button. Quite annoying. Thanks for the insight, guys!

Something like this? DHSmixercase3.JPGDHSmixercaseopen2.JPGDHSmixercaserear1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back