Slimpar 56s and dimmers??

allank44

Hi all...a sort of newbie...but I hope a simple question.

I'd like to manually set my chauvet par 56s...each to it's own color.

Can I dim all 4 simultaneously...they'd be linked via ac only...using a dimmer?

Now I'm aware of dimmers...and switch packs..and I think that's the key thing to know.

SO...in general can this be done...

tia....

ML

SO...in general...NO.
Check the manual, in at least 3 places they state not to power from a dimmer.
They certainly won't dim in the manner you want.
You could void the warranty by trying.
Now to move on to solving your problem, what kind of dmx controller do you have? How will you be using these?

SO...in general...NO.
Check the manual, in at least 3 places they state not to power from a dimmer.
They certainly won't dim in the manner you want.
You could void the warranty by trying.
Now to move on to solving your problem, what kind of dmx controller do you have? How will you be using these?

So..we have an OBEY 40 controller...which I know can't do fades between scenes..which would help.

The setup is 4 slimpar56s...used as stage backwash. All we want to do is manually,simultaneously, bring them up..and down.. as needed.

Also the hope was to program to 4 different colors...with 4 differerent DMX addresses.

So...4 different colors...fade up...fade down...as needed. This is a live event with no set times for the on stage talent.

We also have UNIPACK dimmers....and a Chavet DMX-4 LED dimmer/swithch pack...which according to the manual...assuming I'm understanding it...can handle LEDS with electronic power supplies...as long as it's in the SWITCH PACK mode.

So what we want to do is very siimple...but not, so it seems.

I could use the OBEY 40...manually...but see no easy way to set each LED to a different colour and also manually fade up and down.

Yes, I could program a scene...4 LEDS/4 colors...but then no ability to fade. Blackout...sure...fade?? No.

M

Not to knock you but read up on the Obey. It can most definitely fade intensity.

Run the slimpars off wall AC and Dmx everything back to the board. Patch and whala.

@Ford help this guy out.

Hi ML,
if you call into our customer support team. They can direct you to some great tutorials, or just talk you through your issue.
toll free: 1-844-393-7575

Not to knock you but read up on the Obey. It can most definitely fade intensity.

Run the slimpars off wall AC and Dmx everything back to the board. Patch and whala.

@Ford help this guy out.

lol...it's okay to knock me... I can take it.

So...are we talking 3 channel RGB or 7 channel?

I know that the 7th channel is the dimmer intensity.

SO...program FIXTURE 1...whatever color...repeat for the other 3 fixtures...

THEN...patch the 7th channel for each fixture to a fader say 1 to 4 ? (assuming 7 channel DMX operation)

(Maybe I'm making this too complicated??)

Your ...’s lol.

7ch mode yes.

Patching into the board you gotta know the board. I don’t. I’m hands on so you need to google the manual and set it up. I’m sure there is some YouTube videos.

If you want them all to function the same, set then all to the same DMX base address, say 1. Then you can control them altogether. Channels 1,2, and 3 control your color blending, and channel 7 is the overall intensity. The other channels should be left at 0.

If you DO NOT want them all the same color and intensity, then each fixture will have it's own intensity to be controlled separately. There's no way to patch the fixtures through their DMX such that they all respond to one single channel for intensity. It's either everything is all together, or everything is all separate.

Now how that would would on an Obey 40, I can't say how its cues work.

If you want them all to function the same, set then all to the same DMX base address, say 1. Then you can control them altogether. Channels 1,2, and 3 control your color blending, and channel 7 is the overall intensity. The other channels should be left at 0.

If you DO NOT want them all the same color and intensity, then each fixture will have it's own intensity to be controlled separately. There's no way to patch the fixtures through their DMX such that they all respond to one single channel for intensity. It's either everything is all together, or everything is all separate.

Now how that would would on an Obey 40, I can't say how its cues work.
thanks. Chris...

Got everything to work as needed....at least well enough for the event yesterday.

BUT... still not quite what I'd like to be able to do.
So, selected all 4 fixtures...set all to whatever RGB colour...then controlled intensity manually...fade up...fade down.

I think what we needed to do...for each to be a different colour..was use the Program mode to adjust each fixture.
Once out of program mode then control all via CH 7.

Ideally what I wanted was the ability to pre-program a scene with fade to black...or fade up from black...with variations in colour for each scene.

The Obey 40 allows for pre-programmed scenes..but only hard cuts to each scene...don't seem to be able to preprogram fades.

SO...might only be able to select a scene...then fade manually, but not preprogrammed.

I'm not expecting miracles from the Obey 40...it's great for the price but is obviously a low-end controller.

Any suggestions for a controller with more programmability?

tia...

ok let's try this ...with the Obey 40 and the 4 lights (set to 7 channle mode) you have set them up like this...

fix #1 address 001
fix #2 address 017
fix #3 address 033
fix #4 address 049

you will now have independ control of each light ...make sure to power them from a NON dim wall out let

Users who are viewing this thread

Back