SM48s Work Erratically

Amiers

Renting to Corporate One Fixture at a Time.
So yesterday I had a weird issue with my handheld kind of working. I had to tap the head to get it to actually output any audio. The switch has seen almost 4 years of on/off which is what I think it might be.

I have already ordered a new one but if I could figure out the problem I could possible have a back up.

I googled a few things but most of the troubleshooting is stuff like, Is the switch on , Is the Cable good, Is the Mute button on. Nothing substantial.

You have a couple of possibilities, 4-5 years is a good life, but I've definitely had ones live a lot longer and shorter depending on their situation. An issue with the switch is possible, you could also be experiencing a cable at the head with a bad connection. Typically that comes from someone screwing the grill on and off or lots of abuse and dropping. It can be fixed on average for about half the cost of the mic. If you can afford it it never hurts to buy a new one and if you buy 2 you're only doubling your investment and time.

make sure someone didn't do this with it....
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yesterday was the first time I actually took it all completely apart. Everything looked solid. Wires looked to be still holding. There really isn't much to it which is why I feel the switch is the issue. The mic lives next to the sound board and hasn't been dropped. I have unscrewed the grill prolly a dozen or so times but just cause it felt loose. The reason I went with the 48 is actually because of that video.

So maybe ill reflow the connections and see if its that or if it is the switch maybe try to find it somewhere. IF anyone has a lead on it I wouldn't mind either :)

Mic switches fail by leaving the mic on. They mute the mic by placing a short across the dynamic element or transformer.

Replace the cable. If that doesn't resolve it, give the mic a decent burial and move on.

The switch itself can physically fail when it no longer "lifts" the short. However, typically in that case the switch would be loose and move freely. Based on the original post I'm guessing the issue is more likely at the head. It's fixable, but it sounds like your instinct of investing in a new one is spot on. If it happens with the new one, put a cable tester or multi meter on the cable, worst case you fix the cable and have two working mics, you'll win in the end either way.

I don't leave the switch on. I leave the channel open for the mic on the board and switch the mic on and off to use. The switch does move a bit smoother than the newer one. I tested the newer one today for a bit and had no issues. Coincidentally the old mic had no issues today, but I did blow out the inside of the mic after taking out the head. So maybe it was a fluke.

Also shout out to Full Compass, I didn't expect it to get here in 1 day with ground shipping. They are at my backdoor but I expected tomorrow or friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back