Small Amplifier with Balanced Inputs

Bubby4j

I've been assigned the task of setting up a tiny audio system in a room of our church for playing music for games (think musical chairs) and 1 wired microphone.

We already have the speakers and microphone, and I've picked out a small mixer.

It doesn't need good audio quality, it just needs to make sound. At the same time, I don't want the speakers to have an awful buzz or hiss from an unbalanced input or super cheap amp.

The 2 (crappy, Harbinger M60) speakers are 50W each. I can't find much of anything anywhere near this wattage with balanced inputs.

Anyone have any suggestions? Ditch the current speakers and get powered ones? Ideally we'd keep the budget under $250-$300ish for the mixer ($150) and amplifier together. I've decided on the Yamaha MG10 mixer because it's one of the smallest mixers with a built in compressor, plus it's decent enough to reuse in other places.

The power rating of the speakers has almost nothing to do with the required power amp size. Look for an integrated mixer-amplifier, also known as a powered mixer in the 50-200 Watt range, but extra power won't hurt a thing. Toa and Yamaha are a couple of brands I'd look at. On a tight budget, Mackie and Behringer would be fine.

Try an American Audio VLP 300. It's a 1U rack space, 300 watts. It looks like it is a discontinued product, but you can probably pick one up on ebay for about $100.

Powered speakers is probably going to be better for your application. If you want to go this route, take a look at Kustom PA KPC10P 10" Powered PA Speaker. Or a powered mixer as @FMEng suggested.

I'd like to avoid an integrated mixer-amp as we'd like to keep it low profile. It's going to end up on a small shelf in the open. That American Audio VLP 300 does look promising though. eBay is a good idea. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back