Small, basic console for elementary school

Thetechmanmac

I was asked to help with some purchasing decisions for an elementary school near me. Right now they have a cafetorium setup, and a parent brings in his sound system for shows. This parent recently asked me to assist with a lighting upgrade. We are going to put in some LEDs, but I'm stumped on a console recommendation. Ideally a Colorsource 20 console would be great, But I don't know if the budget is available. Was really hoping to spend no more than 1K on the console.

Anyone have some suggestions, or is the Colorsource 20 the console for this application. (5th grade board ops).

The CS 20 lists around $1750. You can get a console for under $1000, but I doubt if it controls LEDs and even a few movers anywhere near as easily and reliably as the ColorSource. You'll get what you pay for.

Probably around 8-12 LED fixtures. A laptop would be a possibility, but M-touch/M-PC may be a little overly complex. I like the looks of the Jands stage CL. The prices I saw are $1300, which may be more doable. I'm really going to push for a CS 20, and the CL will probably be second choice. ETC support would definitely be helpful in this situation since the board ops will be volunteers and students.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I've lost track but lowest end Cognito might be a good option. Just observed training of teachers at a new K-8 school - probably 40-50 LED units - and they seemed very comfortable with it. (Well Google said 2900, and I thought 1900 - so maybe not.)

You might look for used as well. SmartFade MLs seem available and, though I'm in the minority liking them. And check with local dealers who have rental stock.

I've lost track but lowest end Cognito might be a good option. Just observed training of teachers at a new K-8 school - probably 40-50 LED units - and they seemed very comfortable with it. (Well Google said 2900, and I thought 1900 - so maybe not.)

You might look for used as well. SmartFade MLs seem available and, though I'm in the minority liking them. And check with local dealers who have rental stock.
I did think about cognito, but I saw the cognito2 price was around 2500. According to their website they have the Choreo which is the in wall solution, and the cognito2. A used smartfade may be a good idea, I'll take a look into that as well.

A word to the wise. There are DJ type boards out there for a couple hundred. They are fine for setting some effects and letting them rip, but for cue-to-cue they don't make it simple.

I've kept an eye on this area for a while and have not found anything other than those discussed. My choice would be CS20 or CL or used, in that order.

If the lights only need to be controlled during "shows" then I highly recommend a laptop and software. There are many good solutions that are flexible and easy to use (and cost effective). You can easily get a suitable laptop and USB -> DMX controller for <$1k.
(We use QLC+ for the software and I really like it - it's free, and there are many other good packages out there) You can make this interface as simple (e.g. Cue List and hit the space bar) or complex (e.g. multiple pages of buttons/faders, X-Y controls for moving heads, chasers scenes, sound control, etc.) as you need - even changing between events as needed.

If you need to have a "wall control" (or similar) that is always available and usable by anyone (including the cleaning staff) on immediate notice, then you'll need a more expensive, more permanent solution where some default "scenes" can be stored and easily controlled.

If you have a parent willing to watch a few videos/read a few tutorials and learn it to set it up, then I would go with a slightly older laptop, and magicq with their $100 adapter.

The parent (or get the current lighting nerd from the high school or the person who they bring in for shows if they are willing to) would likely set up just a few stacks with basic looks, an execute window for general usage (front light all on, podium on, house lights if you can connect to them, etc).

As I just write in another thread, be careful if there will be performances. Don't just point a few lights at the stage, especially leds, and expect it to look good. Everything will end up flat and weird looking, esp if all the fixtures are set to the same color. It just never ends well.

Also, find out what the middle and high school are using for boards, for information.

I'm a couple states away, but if you have a basic floorplan of the space, contact me privately and maybe I can help at least figure out some basics for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back