Small light setup for a Mobile DJ

Hello, I'm an Italian Mobile DJ.
I write here my question, sorry if posted in the wrong section of forum.

I have planned to buy the new light for my dj show.
I have seen a Chauvet Minspot, a small DMX LED moving heads, in combination with a DMX Par LED lights.
I think to start to buy two moving heads with four par lights, with a DMX controller too.
I need to know if these items are good for a small light show, (weddings, small parties around 100 people).
I have plan in the future to buy two other moving heads, LED scanners, DMX strobo.
This setup is good to me or I must buy halogen or discarge lamp moving heads?
The simple DMX controllers (common 100$ value) are good to make a decent control of fixtures?
The Chauvet are in two versions, Minspot and Minwash: for dj use, witch is better?
Minspot or Minwash or combination of these?
Thanks in advance and excuse for my bad English and the number of questions.

Sergio aka Sergicchio Deejay!
HTML:
www.sergicchio.it

Welcome, Sergicchio. See this thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/6038-chauvet-min-spot.html. Two of our members bought them used, after the LDI tradeshow in 2007. The general opinion is that the MinSpot is only useful in a very darkened room. The same is true for the ColorSplash Jr.

You'll discover products from Chauvet, American DJ, and others are often denigrated here on ControlBooth, but only because our application is primarily theatre. They may work perfectly well for your needs, and budget.

for your use I would recommend several of the DMX-controllable American DJ proucts, such as Reflex LED DMX, Revo III, or any of the LED Pro par cans.
The industry going LED is helping out mobile DJs in the fact that you can run a pretty big LED rig on the same amount of power as two halogen/discharge units.
You do have to be careful though, many units have very poor output; always check a fixtures photometrics or try and see it in person before you buy!

Yeah, the DJ industry is going almost totally LED now. Look into those fixtures and that will be your best bet. Their output has gotten better to the point where I use them in live music and theater now, they should be more than enough for DJ use.

Mike

I DJ on the side and have been renting a lot of LED FX lights this year for the gigs I do. My favorites so far have been the previously mentioned Revo III, the Quad Gem and the LED version of the Mystic. All of them have great coverage and good color/pattern options for a DJ show. I have some pics of a dance I did with two Revos and a Quad gem last fall. I can post some of them if you'd like. (and if I figure out the best way to post a pic here)

BJH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back