small space for set ideas

Cineruss

O was wondering if there is such a thing as a rollable scrim or cutout scenic device that can be used over and over again. I have a small space around 23 feet wide by 24 feet in height with a stage that will fit into this area but of course will not be that large. We plan on adding scenic projection in the back but I am thinking of adding some elements that can add scenic materials that would normally fly down if there was enough room to fly them. Anyone have any ideas? Does that make any sense?

O was wondering if there is such a thing as a rollable scrim or cutout scenic device that can be used over and over again. I have a small space around 23 feet wide by 24 feet in height with a stage that will fit into this area but of course will not be that large. We plan on adding scenic projection in the back but I am thinking of adding some elements that can add scenic materials that would normally fly down if there was enough room to fly them. Anyone have any ideas? Does that make any sense?
@Cineruss Research "Oleo drops" ; I recall beating these into submission once or twice in the past few years here on Control Booth.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Yes, either a traditional Oleo, or there are also automated rollers that exist however they are quite likely well out of your price range based on the description on the size of your space.

I remember the threads on here having lots of great feedback...

MAKE SURE your "roll" and support are both very rigid and strong. There is a LOT of force involved in an oleo, so everything needs to be properly rated and well constructed.

What everybody said already. Olios, and or Top, or Bottom roll drops are a great way to go in a small space.
If you look them up here and still have questions ask away. the concepts are easy but execution can be tricky because of the way they track when rolling.

For the record an "Olio drop" is named for an "Olio Act" such as in Vaudeville days when different Variety acts would appear on the same stage with just a drop behind them for a scene change.
Olio Means "Mixture" or "Variety"

An "Oleo drop" would be quite messy as that would imply dumping tons of Margarine on stage.
"Oleo" is a reference to Oils such as "Oleic Acid".

If you want some inspiration for what has been done with Olio drops, one of my favorite books of the ilk is "Suspended Worlds: Historic Theater Scenery in Northern New England" by Christine Hadsel. Around a century ago many town halls and grange halls had some sort of olio drop scenery, ranging from maybe just a grade drape, paid for by selling advertisements on it to local merchants, to a stock set of perhaps a half dozen or so standard scenes (often with some ears and teasers). This is very much a coffee table book as well as a somewhat scholarly treatise and so has plenty of lovely color pictures.

One reason I personally like this book is that Act 2 in it very prominently features the town hall in the tiny little town of Reading, VT where I grew up, which happens to have a gorgeous complete set. Indeed the entire town hall has changed rather little since it was constructed: the same ganged wooden folding chairs with hat racks under the seats are still used, the meeting room features the same pretty horrid acoustics, and even much of the furniture in the tow offices was the same, at least the last time I poked my head in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back