Small Stage Outdoor Stage Lighting

I have a small sound company and was given four 10' sections of 12" triangular truss. We bolt them together and make two 20' sticks. One 20' truss per stage.
We do a show every year here in Arizona, USA where we run two stages. It's and outdoor Block Party on the street, nothing fancy and it is for a CHARITY event so we keep the cost as low as possible. And we only have front overhead trussing for each stage. I do have ample power on the big stage, a 75K generator. The small stage uses two Honda EU3000 generators. Works great. Small sound, Small light package.

One stage is 24x24 and I have 2-24ft Genie crank lifts. With only having a 20' span on the truss we work with what we have (between stage and lights). Last year I rented some lights and they were Venue LED wash lights. I did not care for these because they were blue the whole time, the guy I rented them from said that was the closest to white as he could get. They had a bunch of very small LED's in them.

The other stage is 20x16. With 2- 18' Genie crank lifts. Last year I put about 8 or 10 par 38's on that 20' stick and it did great. All Gels were removed so it was just white wash. No need for a light show as we only have one sound tech at each stage. So we just leave the lights on.

This year I would like to buy lights for the bigger stage so I won't have to rent anymore and was looking at keeping my cost minimal and using LED due to power consumption and being able to use them for smaller gigs.

I ordered one Chauvet SlimPar Pro Tri to test it out. It will be here in a few days.

So I have a couple of questions. For a 24x24 stage, and not needing to put light on every square inch of the stage, just light the bands I would like to get some suggestions on inexpensive lights that can wash the stage with.

How many will I need if the field angle on the Slimpar Pro Tri is 38 degrees? (Beam Angle 20 degrees) Can I get away with 5 or 6 of these and use a couple of par 38's to help?

Again I am trying to keep cost down due to this being a charity event.

I appreciate any help you all may have. I am mostly a sound guy (Just started dabbling in lights) and figure a fixture with 18 3w LED RGB would do just fine as the truss is only about 9 ft over the stage.

Thanks again in advance for your help. This event is Feb 13th so I need to figure it out this week.

I will be at NAMM this week to see what else is out there but doubt I could grab anything there to take home.

Your spread at the 9 or 10 ft thro and beam of 21 will be about 4 or 5 ft based on photometric

To me that is tight so I would double hang two per area. 5 piece band need 10 or 12 lights.

Order DMX cable, it is different than microphone cable.

Ok thx. I am going to have to re think this. I dont have the budget for 10 lights. Looks like I will need to break out a couple of my Par64's w/600watt bulbs. I have about a dozen of those but only have 3 cheap dimmers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back