Smartfade ML controlling Parameters on LED PAR/BARs

Kozak

Hello all,

I am having issues with controlling basic functions and parameters of an ADJ Megabar RGBA with the Smartfade ML. The problem is that the lights tend to "jump" to a specific function when recorded to a submaster. This also happens when i record colors to subs as well, but presents itself differently because of the nature of the function.

Ill run you through what I do. I select devices, press [color] button to select color from the choices it gives me, then i increase intensity on the wheel, the color appears, and I record it to a "memory" submaster. I have recorded a bunch of washes like this. The problem arises when i push one color to full and then off, and then I select another fader with a color recorded on it, as i move it up, it starts with the previous color I used, then goes to the current one im pulling up. this also happens as I move the fader to zero, the previous color presents itself the closer to zero I get.

The same thing happens to parameters. instead of the sub only increasing the intensity, it moves through the parameter channel as well as the intensity until it goes to full and the recorded parameter is on. Also, when I move the parameter to the off position, then move a color fader on, it flickers as if its going through the parameter fader (function of the fixture itself). I know that it is possible to have the parameter recorded in a sub and it come on instantly when the fader is pushed up while only increasing in intensity, because it has worked before. Usually the first time I use it, then it starts acting up when I move on to other faders.

I know the manual addresses this on page 15 under the heading "Philosophy of the console," sub heading "parameters." It tells me to control the parameters using the wheels, but i have tried this and its not fixing the jumping problem. Ill be honest and say that I might not really understand what exactly this section is recommending.

Any help appreciated.

Manual link https://www.etcconnect.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737461078
Quote of text

Device Parameters All device parameters operate exclusively live, using Latest Takes Precedence (LTP). This means that they are always “stolen” by the last action. When you control devices using the PARAM faders, you may see those parameters "jump" to a level and then "catch up" to the fader's position. This is because a fader is always at some level between 0% and Full. Because the first move of the fader is considered the last action for that parameter, you will see these jumps when the fader does not match the starting level for the parameter. To avoid this jump, use the encoders to control your devices. Encoders only indicate a direction of change, not a fixed percentage level, so you will not see the jump since there is nothing to catch up to. A memory containing device parameters can be set to have the device parameters follow the fader progressively, or not.

On a semi-related note, turning off "memory rubberbanding" will help you.

Are you just using the Smartfade color presets or are you trying to use color macros in your fixtures? Did you make the fixture profile? Where did you put the function channels on the Smartfade? How are you saving the memories on the board?

My best guess is you are either using the wrong canned fixture profile or you have mapped function channels to things the board thinks should be faded rather than jumped to in your custom profile.

On a semi-related note, turning off "memory rubberbanding" will help you.

Are you just using the Smartfade color presets or are you trying to use color macros in your fixtures? Did you make the fixture profile? Where did you put the function channels on the Smartfade? How are you saving the memories on the board?

My best guess is you are either using the wrong canned fixture profile or you have mapped function channels to things the board thinks should be faded rather than jumped to in your custom profile.

Thanks for the reply.
I will try turning off rubberbanding.
The fixture profile is correct, i looked them up on their list. All their channels were correct.

For the washes, I use the functions of the board to select colors and record them at memories. But I also do use color macros or parameters as ive called them.

I am also wondering if I should be homing the devices before selecting a new color wash to record..?

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back