SmartModule or ?

SteveB

OK, new space being designed and due to a bunch of reasons, the TC is thinking of not going to dedicated racks for 2 spaces, both so-called "rehearsal rooms", of about 45x45 or 55x45 ea. The intended usage is occasional performances for these rooms, which I translate as frequent performances. This the consultant is thinking of lots of portable packs (well, he's thinking on "Packs that can be shared", we're thinking on lots that can hang and stay - in lieu of permanent circuits). So the choices might be:

- ETC Smart Module, 6x10amp, probably 25-30 per space, allowing use of 750watt lamps, and which feed from a 20amp, 3 pole service.

- Leprecon ULD360's, which feed from 2x15 amp services, thus 575watts only

- ET Intelligent Power 6x1.2kw box, also a 20 amp, 3 pole feed.

- Something else.

Any thoughts appreciated, including experiences with any of the above or something different..

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

what about the LEX / Electrol D125DX, 12 channels of 1.5kw in 2U of space. I havent used them since lex bought electrol, but I have used the things for years and they are as rugged as they come.

150-180 dimmers for a 2025-2475 sq.ft. rehearsal/performance space? Seems mildly excessive.

I'm curious as to the reasons for wanting a distributed dimming system. I thought we had completely pummeled that expired equine here: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/9344-sensor-vs-et-intelligent-raceway.html.

Well, I happen to agree that the space should only get a very simple and basic rig, but the head tech. responsible for the Theater Dept. Lighting is concerned that the space, due to it's higher grid, may well become the new black box, replacing the existing, which only has 60 dimmers. Thus a desire to not get backed into a corner.

That plus the need to ask for the moon while being prepared for less. Remember as well that the dims are 1.2kw, not 2.4kw. The grid layout may well support 120 or so fixtures, and he does not want to add a 3rd space to the workload and would desire to simply keep a rig hung.

FWIW, 30 SmartModules would probably price out at around $45,000 ($1,500 ea., they list at $1,900), where as 144 Sensors would probably be a bit cheaper. But there's then a fight to find a closet for 2 Sensor racks, with HVAC and power. That's a huge issue, so putting a panel into an existing electrical closet with 30x3 pole breakers for power to distributed may well be the un-happy result.

EDIT: As per jmbray's comment, we have to plan on having some sort of nodes will be used, as the entire control distro. will be Cat5, so there will always be failure points of some sort. I still prefer racks, so will see where this leads.

Steve B.

Last edited:
The other thing that you have to deal with in a distributed system is the DMX. It just adds another possible failure point to the system. Just something to make sure you are aware of....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back