Installs Smoke from rack

Brenden Friedel

Hey so today I installed 8 new QLXD receivers nothing changed from the last I took out 8 and put in 8 in the same spot. But a littl after half and hour of having the system on. Something started smoking in the top half of our rack. It was none of the receivers but rather one of the power distros, driverack telex or the acp and dsp. If something is old will it start to smoke. Our telex and power switcher have been in the rack for about 15 years. They haven’t been constantly on but have been on. Any suggestions on where to look and to start?

Are these different models from the ones you pulled out? My first thought would be that the new receivers are pulling too much current for the power supply.

Not trying to be snarky, but, do all the things still work?

I pulled out some old amps out of a rack years ago and they started smoking after being pulled out. Turned out disrupting the dust buildup actually caused it. I would give everything a thorough cleaning, and then plug in and turn on things one at a time, let it run for a few minutes, test, etc, to isolate which device is giving you problems. Good time to get a deep clean of the rack in.

Not trying to be snarky, but, do all the things still work?
I have no idea. I do not want to plug anything back in. I beleive everything is fine because one of the surge protectors switched off and the other for the mics did not so I think all the wireless are fine

I pulled out some old amps out of a rack years ago and they started smoking after being pulled out. Turned out disrupting the dust buildup actually caused it. I would give everything a thorough cleaning, and then plug in and turn on things one at a time, let it run for a few minutes, test, etc, to isolate which device is giving you problems. Good time to get a deep clean of the rack in.
That’s what I was going to do today as well. First thing I did was clean up cables

Are these different models from the ones you pulled out? My first thought would be that the new receivers are pulling too much current for the power supply.
The old ones were Shure SLX that we’re repleaced with QLX-D. The power is the same as before. They are being powered by the antenna Distribution system. Me personally think it was are telex because of how old it’s getting.

Your sense of smell will help you locate the culprit. You might have to pull some things out of the rack to do that.

Your sense of smell will help you locate the culprit. You might have to pull some things out of the rack to do that.
I narrowed it down to two suspects. Either a 10 year old telex or 1 year old Advance signal processors from crestron. (The smell is kinda like battery acid lol)

Found it! it was actually are power delay that tripped or something internally and started smoking. It wouldn't turn on today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back