Smoke in a can

Skervald

I'm looking to add a quick burst of "smoke" to a production of "The Wizard of Oz". (burning scarecrow) I'm not really thrilled about the idea of pulling out the fog machine and piping it into a costume so smoke in a can sounds attractive (in theory anyway). I've seen lots of references to it on this site but no real comments about how well it works or recommendations on a specific brand.

My first question is, can this stuff be seen on stage in a 450 seat theater under the lights? I'm skeptical as most of it seems to be advertised as haze. I really only need it to last a few seconds so perhaps even the initial release of haze would read?

My second question is, does anyone have a brand they've used successfully?

The other option is the fullers earth in a squeeze bulb method but buying a can seems so much cleaner.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Yes, I've seen that online and read the description. Have you used the brand with good result? It's marketed as a haze for DJs, photographers, and Halloween parties. I'm concerned a burst of it won't be visible on stage even before it starts to dissipate.

Yes, I've seen that online and read the description. Have you used the brand with good result? It's marketed as a haze for DJs, photographers, and Halloween parties. I'm concerned a burst of it won't be visible on stage even before it starts to dissipate.

We've used it for Hairspray during the Corny Collins show. Given the higher cost, we were conservative with its use during the run of the show. It lasted through about 10 shows with much left over. It is very visible and hazes quickly, after about 3-5 feet of spray. Though it IS more forceful than a can of hairspray, I can't say whether it would be enough to make it THROUGH costumes.

proxy.php

Thanks! If I had time and money to burn i'd do a smoke in a can shootout and post a detailed report here. Seems like it might be useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back