The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Smoking Pipes on Stage

Discussion in 'Safety' started by bobgaggle, Dec 9, 2007.

1. bobgaggle

bobgaggle Well-Known Member

Shop Foreman
    In my freshman year of high school, I played Barbouille in "The Jealous Husband". Because of drug laws concerning government property, naturally I couldn't smoke a tobacco pipe on stage, but the director decided that incense isn't a drug. I took a small cone on incense, lit it, stuck it in the pipe and smoked it for the whole show...young and unafraid of risks. During one performance, I was gesticulating madly with the pipe, having forgotten the burning substance in the bowl, when the incense popped out, leaving me fumbling wildly on stage with this smoldering ashy thing. Needless to say, always play it safe when there's fire on stage.

2. kingfisher1

kingfisher1 Active Member

audiences are generally pretty willing to believe whatever you present them with...may ext time try some talc powder, or even flour, in the pipe, and them just puff every once in a while....and it looks like smoke coming out. it also makes everyone much happier and less nervous

3. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stagehand/ Production Company Owner
    You can use a small piece of screening to keep the incense from falling out next time.

Schools are not gov't buildings BTW.

4. mbenonis

mbenonis Wireless Guy Administrator

Radio Engineer
    Public schools are local government buildings, and occupants are required to abide by all government regulations while in them.

5. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stagehand/ Production Company Owner
    In some places, yes.
    In this part of New York, no.

County School districts are most certainly.

The no smoking thing applies to all places of business in most states where there are laws on the books.

6. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Oddly enough I think smoking real pipe tobacco would be healthier for you than smoking incense. It's made from Camel dung and ground herbs and herbal extracts. With manufacturing processes being what they are in most third world countries, I don't think I'd want it that close to my lungs. < He said reaching to hide the box of Marlboro in the top draw.>

7. bobgaggle

bobgaggle Well-Known Member

Shop Foreman
    well, like I said, young and fearless...