Smooth transition Orange-Blue ETC D40's

Jlarmen

Hello All,

Here at our district PAC, we have an ETC ION Pars, Fresnels, D40's, etc... During a recent show, I had all the D40's lit orange and the next cue they move to Blue. During the transition they went purple, then to the blue. Still new to the ION... is there a way to get a smooth transition (not purple first) from Orange to Blue? I realize they're on the opposite spectrum, but what do other uses do to avoid the drop to purple on the way?

Thanks
Joseph

The fade through purple sounds like the hue is fading but the saturation is staying fairly constant.

In Eos 2.3 it's easy to choose an alternate path for the colour fade using the {Color Path} softkey. In the destination cue select the channels and set the color path to something other than native.

<selection>{Color Path}2[Enter] sets the color path to GEL
[Update][Enter] updates the cue

Reactions: Ric
We've got a lot of LED lighting, ( ETC S4 series 2 Lustr+), along with an ETC Cobalt 20. It's all in the programming. Much like moving lights, often there's a live transition (light moves from point A to point B) that you have to find a work around for.
The best way to overcome the LED colour transition issue is to use 2 fixtures per position, as if they were a fixed colour gel. One in the current colour, the other in the incoming colour.
Any colour transitions on the fixture/desk then happen when they're at 0 intensity. ( Most desks have a 'Move in Dark' logic that changes the colour /position etc., when the intensity is at 0 )

i.e. Cue 1 Fixture A is blue at Full, Fixture B is red at 0.
Cue 2 Fixture A is at 0 and transitions to Green, Fixture B is Red at Full
Cue 3 Fixture A is Green at Full, Fixture B is at 0 transitioning to yellow

If you don't have enough fixtures to do that, then unfortunately at some stage you're going to see a live colour transition that just doesn't fit.
Sometimes being smart with the colour mode on the fixture may make the transitions more acceptable. We have some of ours in HSIC mode, and others in RGB, depending on where they're placed in the rig and what they're doing.

The new color control features in Eos/Ion v2.3 are amazing. They allow you to think about color almost any way. Plan on some learning time.

Thank you all. I tried the colorpath, but there isn't a lot of documentation and I can't seem to set a custom path. Ric, unfortunately, we do not have that many D40's that I could have another set to light the same areas, but that seems like a plausible solution. In the meantime, I'll keep playing with the colorpath. Isn't there a way to have a cue start immediately following another one (like the out is the trigger to start the other) to maybe bring Cue A down quickly, then have Cue B start immediately once Cue A is at 0?

Color path 2 or Color path 8 ought to give something approximating fade thru white. The former can get noticeably brighter on the fade.

Using color paths, including creating your own, is covered in the manuals and teaching guides that ETC makes available
ETC Eos Family v2.3 Supplement
ETC Eos Family Color Tools Workbook

Ion supports follow and hang for follow-on cues. It also supports discrete timing for individual channels making it possible to dim a light then change the colour, for instance.

Were the D40s in HSI or Direct Mode? I'd experiment with one, but change the fixture to Direct, and its console patch to match. Might make the fade work better compared to fading across the entire hue range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back