SMPTE timecode audio playback/ player

Use any audio program to put a smpte audio track on the Right Channel and your track on left. If you need stereo program output then use one of the many audio dongles out there that do multitrack output and use a multitrack audio editor.

If you need a smpte audio track, I'm sure someone could dig up one for you.

Use any audio program to put a smpte audio track on the Right Channel and your track on left. If you need stereo program output then use one of the many audio dongles out there that do multitrack output and use a multitrack audio editor.

If you need a smpte audio track, I'm sure someone could dig up one for you.

So the right audio track acts like the master clock? Sound is not my forte, so I hope you don't mind if I ask a few " will this work" questions. BTW, I will be hooking The right sound output up to an ETC Expression 3!

1st Will it work????:
Mixvibes - HD Control CD - Timecode CD - HD CD - B&H Photo Video

And how do you set this CD up?

Is there anytype of software that can play an MP3 file and output smpte timecode via dongle/soundcard. I just have one of those "this isn't going to work" feelings with a cd.
Like I said I'm deaf when It comes to sound.

Thanks Much!
-Lightingguy1

Last edited:
Forget the CD. Download the two hours of smpte I have here http://eticketprogramming.com/upload/SMPTE_56_min_to_2_hrs_29.97ndf.m4a and take that plus your program audio into an audio editor. Put the smpte on the right side, program on the left. Save it as a WAV or AIFF (forget the MP3, messes with the smpte sometimes depending on compression). Make that cable and give it a go.

And yes when you break it down, the smpte signal (in this scenario) is just an audio track that will act as a master clock (since it plays along with your program audio).

Last edited:
We need to be careful, SMPTE timecode is a wide ranging descriptor...

What you are referring to is LTC, Linear Time Code and it IS an audio frequency signal. It plays off multitrack machines all the time. It's another output from audio replay at the Olympics, so you won't have any issues running it off CD.

I agree though to avoid MP3. It's lossy and it doesn't sound good anyway and it may well compress parts of the time code and that could be somewhere between messy and fatal...

QLab on a Mac or SFX on a PC should handle this just fine.
If using one of these programs, it's likely easier to use MTC rather than SMPTE LTC.

... BTW, I will be hooking The right sound output up to an ETC Expression 3! ...
Something to be aware of: SMPTE is an option for the ETC Expression3. While all consoles have the female 3pin XLR jack installed, not all have the SMPTE card inside. If yours doesn't, you can use MTC instead. From the v3.1 User Manual.pdf, chapter 24:
The console also can run under external MIDI and SMPTE control, but an option must be installed for external SMPTE (external MIDI capability is standard for the console).
JLCooper and Mark of the Unicorn are two of many manufacturers that make MIDI distribution and translation devices.

Last edited:
If using one of these programs, it's likely easier to use MTC rather than SMPTE LTC.

Something to be aware of: SMPTE is an option for the ETC Expression3. While all consoles have the female 3pin XLR jack installed, not all have the SMPTE card inside. If yours doesn't, you can use MTC instead. From the v3.1 User Manual.pdf, chapter 24:
JLCooper and Mark of the Unicorn are two of many manufacturers that make MIDI distribution and translation devices.

Is there anyway to tell weather it has the card or not?

Thanks!

Yes, open up the front panel (twist the pink 'knobs' at the front ends of the console to loosen the grip). Near the smpte port at the back there should be a chip there, if there isn't you'll just see an empty area labeled smpte option or something.

Yes, open up the front panel (twist the pink 'knobs' at the front ends of the console to loosen the grip). Near the smpte port at the back there should be a chip there, if there isn't you'll just see an empty area labeled smpte option or something.

Ok, You lost me when you said "Pink." I think your thinking of an Expression 1, 2, 2x. Also, do you loosen all four of them? and does anybody know how much one of these SMPTE card costs?

Thanks for the info!

Yes, wakkoroti was thinking of earlier Expressions. On the Expression3, they're dark gray, and you only loosen the front two. However, there are some precautions one should take before opening any console. I suggest calling ETC Service at 1-800-688-4116 and they can also help you if you don't have the SMPTE option installed. As I recall, it's relatively expensive, and the console must be sent back to ETC for installation.

Yeah sorry, here's where you loosen (but not remove) the knobs to lift open the facepanel. Just look near the smpte port on the card - you'll figure it out.

proxy.php

Yeah sorry, here's where you loosen (but not remove) the knobs to lift open the facepanel. ...
After you've (minimally),
1. Removed the power source to the console, and
2. Taken precautions to guard against static discharge.

So as it turns out, My console does have a SMPTE card installed!!:) Now back to the issue at hand: the actual signal controling the clock. if I use SMPTE it seems easier to "bring it together", but how you setup/program SMPTE events can you do that the same way with MIDI time code? Also, what do I use for the source of the MTC??

Thanks for all the help!
-lightinggguy1

Sorry for the detour.:(

Do what wakkoroti said above in post #5.

(Wakk- is that file really 29.97 non-drop frame? I thought that was a contradiction in terms. Isn't 30fps, ndf, more commonly used as long as no video is involved?)

Last edited:
To clarify you're mentioning two different types of SMPTE Timecode. The one I have been talking about is LTC SMPTE Timecode as opposed to MTC SMPTE Timecode. Expression deals with them the same, as they both react to the Timecode Events List and the only configuration difference you have to do is tell Expression which you want to use (SETUP/OPTIONS SETTINGS/TIME CODE INPUT or SETUP/6/5 and pushing 1 for SMPTE (3 pin connector at the back, aka LTC Timecode) or 2 for MIDI Time Code (MTC) and then Enter. Ignore the "Enable Clock" softkey, this is for simulating timecode playback internally in the console.

If you want to use a program (like Qlab) to control audio and send MTC or Midi Show Control messages that's one way to do it, but it gets more indepth than I want to go into.

The easiest way is just to take that file I gave you, attach it to your audio file as the right channel, make that cable, plug the right output into your console, the left into the speakers, Enable Timecode in the Expression setup, go into the timecode events list on the Expression, push Learn, go back to stage, push play on your audio file, then Push Go on your Expression a bunch of times to learn your show, turn off learn mode, etc. etc. etc.

So as it turns out, My console does have a SMPTE card installed!!:) Now back to the issue at hand: the actual signal controling the clock. if I use SMPTE it seems easier to "bring it together", but how you setup/program SMPTE events can you do that the same way with MIDI time code? Also, what do I use for the source of the MTC??

Thanks for all the help!
-lightinggguy1

ok so very thing is good on the lighting side...but...

I can't find a program that supports 30FPS for tIMECODE. regular audio editing software only gives the time in: HH:MM:SS:MMM.
Plz note that i trying to find a program that will display time in this manner: HH:MM:SS:FF

ANY help is greatly apperciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back