SMPTE timecode audio playback/ player

If you're just trying to playback the audio (with the smpte file I gave you) and be able to see what time you are sending you can use this combination on a mac;

Soundflower 1.5.1
SMPTE Reader 1.01

After installing Soundflower - run SoundFlowerBed and click on the flower that appears in your menu bar. Click on Built in Output and. Click on Flower again and then on Soundflower (2ch)> Make sure that Channel 1 is assigned to Built In Output 1 and Channel 2 to Build in Output 2 (assign channel 2 to None if you don't want to 'send' smpte out the right channel at this time). In your audio program, assign the Audio Output from Built in Output to Soundflower (2ch), if your audio program does not let you select the audio output then in System Preferences/Sound change the audio output there.

Run SMPTE Reader. Change the Audio Input to Soundflower (2ch) and then in the next drop down, select Stream 2 to 'read' the smpte from the Right channel. Turn Jam Mode to off. (Bonus: You can send Midi Time Code -MTC- via this applet if you have a MIDI dongle by selecting it in the drop down at the bottom).

Re: Converterting SMPTE timecode (LTC) into MIDI timecode/ MTC

Ok, So this summer "project" has gone downhill VERY quickly, so Is there any free/paid software out there that can generate MIDI timecode(outputing the midi via usb dongle) and play an audio track?

Thanks for your 2 cents.....

Last edited:
MDI timecode software

Is there any software out there that can output midi timecode via dongle and play an audio file?

-Trust me I want this summer "Project' do be done with!

Thank you all CB members who have helped me get one step closer!

Make sure you work out what you want to be the master (time code generator) and what is the slave. One solution I have used is a Alesis HD24 with 24 tracks of record/ playback It is simple to just select generate MTC

media.zzounds.com/.../ADAT-HD24_Manual-555427296ac2fe3a64335c4a2488e975.pdf -

If you have another device generating MTC and you need to slave audio playback to mtc I know Nuendo does that

WAV players that sync to SMPTE LTC or MTC? [Archive] - REDUSER.net

here are a few other links

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/261762-syncing-pt-logic-via-mtc-midisport.html

I would definitely stay away from attempting to do SMPTE in a MP3 I believe you are likely to get a less than ideal signal.

Sharyn

well.... To sum this up, SFX has worked great for me! It outputs MTC and plays my MP3 file(s).

So to create a light show using an expression 3, here is what you need:

1) SFX deluxe(SFX basic will not output MTC) - setup to output MTC with a delay cue to get the software and the lighting console sync'd up, then drop and drop your audio cue.

2) A USB to MIDI cable

3) A USB or firewire output interface to output the sound/MP3 - ie: BEHRINGER: FCA202

4) A audio editing software- to get exact timing to the music. I used audacity because it's free and simple to use.

And that's it! BTW, I bought the academic version of SFX to save money, basically the same thing as the Deluxe version.

ETC strongly suggests that you need to have at LEAST a 5 second sync period for the console to get ready to fire cues!

Thnx!
-Lightingguy1

We need to be careful, SMPTE timecode is a wide ranging descriptor...

What you are referring to is LTC, Linear Time Code and it IS an audio frequency signal. It plays off multitrack machines all the time. It's another output from audio replay at the Olympics, so you won't have any issues running it off CD.

I agree though to avoid MP3. It's lossy and it doesn't sound good anyway and it may well compress parts of the time code and that could be somewhere between messy and fatal...

I needed to know that Linear Time Code is an audio frequency signal.
my console has a fixed LTC in, but i was looking for sending LTC through a interface.
Simple as that, audio signal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back