Snow?

Re: Quiet snow machines?

Are you asking is there something as good, yet quier then a Blizzard?

The snow machines that I have at my theatre are unique and might just work for your situation.

They are custom made snow machines made of wood and one small motor.
They are set up like a troth (in other words a V shape) with a rod going through the entire length. The rod has tie wraps (zip ties) and the snow is placed at the top. As the rod spins it moves the snow around and causes it to fall. The motor is on a dimmer so it can be controlled for amount.

3 big drawbacks to these guys are:

1. They can only snow in one area STRAIT DOWN. and the snow has to be recollected and placed back inside it after every use.

2. The snow we use is the solid state snow that tends to get everywhere and melts if it is close to the lights. Some careful planning can avoid this but I am still chiseling off snow from a production of Nutcracker we did 2 years ago.

3. They are big and bulky (but not heavy). I could not use 2 linesets because of the size of these **** things and we spent a great deal of time with sight line issues.

If you would like a pic please let me know and I will send you some.

All the best and I hope you find a good solution.

GBTimex

What was the size of the stage or space these were used in?

They were used on a stage that is 128' ft long (yes it's big) but we cut it down to an area of of 60ft and they snowed down into a 5 ft area. Most of it piled into the first 2 ft.

Works great for the last dance in Act I of Nutcracker

Spray snow in can? Not the stuff for spraying on windows, but I know there is a UK product and also in Australia, that you spray and it is for a falling snow effect.
Very quiet ! Presume something like that would be in the USA?

I am a big fan of manual snow bags (some people also call them snow cradles I believe) for a few reasons:
They are
-quiet
-inexpensive to build
-reliable
-provide great production quality
-no nasty fluid residue on EVERYTHING
The biggest drawbacks are that they only snow in a straight line unless you use fans and you have to sweep up the snow afterwards

Side note: A couple of years ago I switched from using plastic flakes to ones that are rice based and have been hugely happy with the result. The rice flakes don't melt on lights, don't develop the static cling and they're also water soluable (the few that you miss when sweeping will dissolve when you mop!).

Last edited by a moderator:
How to drop rose petals on stage

At the final tableau of the production I am currently ATDing it is supposed to "rain rose petals across the stage." The director is being amiable as to how this can happen: select points on stage, on four or five lines across the stage, or the original random snowstorm a la Nutcracker. I have looked into the LPI DMX controlled Snow Machine but it doesn't have any information about the size of the holes through which the petals would fall (this is our main concern) and the Rose Brand Snow & Confetti Machine's fall points are straight up too small (@ 3/8") for silk petals. If possible we want this effect run as automation, not person-controlled if that's possible. Are there any better option out there besides making our own?

Thanks for your advice!

Best,
eL

In our community theater I make snow drums made from 8" cardboard tubes used for concrete footings (Home Depot or Lowes) mounted on a light frame and powered by inexpensive 3 rpm mirror ball motors. They make no sound at all. I have used them with commercial plastic snow (recommended on CB) and for petals (Enchanted April). I April, the final monologue requires total quiet and it was fabulous. You can control flow by the size of the holes (3/4" for snow, 1.75" for petals) and speed. Fans are used for blizzard effects.

garyvp: Do you have some more detailed specs on that? I'd love to build some, but am unsure on how to get the disco ball motors mounted to the piping? Thanks I appreciate it greatly! Looking to make it snow for a winter choir concert and for our upcoming production of Forbidden Broadway!

At my high school. We have two close battens and mount a piece of canvas with slits in it between them. The snow(small plastic pieces) sits up in the canvas and when you move one of the battens the snow comes out through the slits.

At my high school. We have two close battens and mount a piece of canvas with slits in it between them. The snow(small plastic pieces) sits up in the canvas and when you move one of the battens the snow comes out through the slits.
And now you know the proper term for it: snow cradle.

Somewhat off topic but since we are talking about snow machines the people over at Global Special Effects have been great to work with recently. I work at an Amusement Park and we have 6 of their older (before they changed the name of the company) T1500 Snomasters machines, these are NOT quiet machines at all, and have had 3 of them go down this year. So far they have been prompt to assist and even offered to send replacement parts for the machines (lifetime warranty and they are standing behind it!)

So thought I would leave this bit of praise here for a company that has been assisting us this year!

Now back to your regularly scheduled forum posts.

Are you asking is there something as good, yet quier then a Blizzard?
Good idea to proof read but dang if I can find spellcheck on Control Booth. Let's be gentle with others.
Just a passing thought.

tekgoddess

We did a Christmas pageant using the rice snow. The carpets in our chapel will never be the same and our operations guys are STILL bitching about it 5 years later.

Can anyone tell me which snow machines will work for a long time, quietly. We need quick evaporation and NO slippery stuff. We are premiering a ballet and will put the snow in rep. so will use for several years. Anyone own CITC Little Blizzard, 2008 Le Maitre Silent Storm or Antari S200 Silent Snow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back