Software Console -- Preferably Linux

malsell

I haven't seen any recent post that cover this issue, so I am going to throw this out, tell my story, and get some opinions...

I just started working for a production company about a year ago, first as an a/v tech at one of the local hotels and now I am the new bench tech at the shop. I had done stage washes and simple up lights, but nothing requiring more than a NSI 8 channel dimmer. What little I had done with LED Par's, control wise, was stand alone/set and forget type installations. When I came to the shop, I requested a small console to test our movers. Since the only lighting technician we had that used HOG became our lighting designer, I was given the hog3 PC super widget which I have been using with Hog4 PC software. I have also used the Avolite Pearl consoles we have, which our techs seem to love more than the IPC we have sitting in the shop. Anyway, Thursday we were short handed and they made me the lighting tech for a charity event in one of the hotels. I got with our lighting director and our sales rep and they agreed to let me use the super widget and my laptop to control the show. Well, long story short (too late), The client was impressed and I got a lot of good jobs from people that didn't know that was my first show and the only "training" I had gotten was testing fixtures during repairs. I also got some compliments for not having a console taking up half of an 8' Table to control a hand-full of lights(typically they would send a Leprechaun 1524).

I am really looking for a good console that I can run through linux. I am not "tied" to linux, but would like to be. I am not going to have 10-20 grand to drop on a good console(or 1 to 2 grand for that matter) and personally I think they take up way too much room. As much of what I will be doing is a here and there job, I also don't want do dump an exorbant amout of money into a software solution that is really just a rough cut patch. I have played with Hog 4 PC of course, I really wished it worked in Linux. I have also played around with Cuelux, Cromateq's LED Player, MagicQ, QLC+, and another one I can't think of the name of right now because it sucked. My current opinions on the software I have tried are as follows:
Cuelux: I love the interface, just really wished it had two universes and more than 48 fixtures. Don't get me wrong, I could deal with the 48 fixtures as you can assign dimmers into sub-fixtures, but some of our larger rigs have gone bigger on movers.
LED Player: It seems to be powerful, but it doesn't look professional. I also can't figure out what the effing Live Mode is for.
MagicQ: I am getting used to this one, but I really wished they would replace the up/down button for the spinners with actual spinners, even if it were just for the X/Y axis. Perhaps even just add in joystick control for the position of movers. It wouldn't be anything for me to keep a game controller in my laptop case. My Xbox 360 controller works great with Cuelux.
QLC+: I really wished I didn't have to build a virtual console that doesn't have all of the functions I would put onto a console. Granted, I haven't spent much time with it because I discovered MagicQ about the same time and have spent more energy with it.
HOG 4: I haven't had any issues with the software with the exception of Elation Platinum Beam 15R Pro which are becoming our mover of choice as of late. Everything else seems to be user error. I just really don't have the money to spend on a Hog Super Widget. If I did, I wouldn't be on here asking I would just pull the trigger on it.

I would really like two universes. Even if I never use the second universe for actual address space, I like having the option of splitting my data runs without an opto-iso. I only used 72 of the 512 addresses Thursday, but because of my data runs, I saved at least 200' of DMX just by running my Coemar's on Universe 1 and my Dimmers on Universe 2.

Just to give a little more about the uses, for me it will always be the smallest local show we have going. I would say no more than a dozen 15R Pro's or Mac 700's (those are our current work horses) possibly some MAC 101's, Source4's (Par and 10-50 barrels), Par-Bars, and Par LED's.

Thanks for any advice.

If your worried about space how about something like an entec ode (you can get similar from other companies with multiple universes). Then you could use an ipad with something like luminair to run the show and not take up any table space at all. I haven't used either personally but have heard great things about both of them. A guy came in recently and used them to focus a dance recital, and said he's never had either crash on him in the year and half he has been doing it.

I have been looking at the enttech devices, the problem is that most of the software I have found that work with linux, only QLC, QLC+, and MagicQ work with it and MagicQ will shut down at 5 hours and I will have to restart it. I am really trying to stay under $500 total. I guess I need to build a virtual console in QLC+ tomorrow and see how that goes. I have e-mails out trying to get a price on the 2-Universe MagicQ USB box.

The reason I am trying to conserve space is because audio and video often take up most of an 8' table each which often leads to someone using road cases to stack gear and then having to cover it up. I am just trying to stay small and out of the way where possible. I really like the Idea of running from a tablet, I will have to look and see if there is an android version. I have seen various remotes on iPad and Android, but not full consoles.

I also wonder if it would be worth getting a new touchscreen laptop. I will check system76 and see what they have available. But there again if it will run on android I can get an el-cheap-o from wally world or a nexus 7 and go. I really wished either more companies would build for linux, even if it's .deb or wine would support USB properly.

... I would really like two universes. Even if I never use the second universe for actual address space, I like having the option of splitting my data runs without an opto-iso. I only used 72 of the 512 addresses Thursday, but because of my data runs, I saved at least 200' of DMX just by running my Coemar's on Universe 1 and my Dimmers on Universe 2. ...
What is your objection to having an opto-splitter at FOH? It seems an unnecessary complication to require two universes when the problem can be solved with a $100 D-Split.

I think you'll find that having a dedicated control surface, be that a console or some type of wing, will greatly increase your programming speed as you use more fixtures and do larger/more complex shows. Chamsys (maker of the very Hog-like MagicQ which you mentioned, and the only high-level with a Linux version) offers a variety of wings. One of the hottest packages right now is grandMA's MA onPC command wing. See also Martin's M2GO. And to really chap your goat, PRG's V276 On Mac.

And while I can somewhat understand your desire to be small and inobtrusive, lighting is just as much a part of the event as video and audio, and you deserve a seat at that table, even if you only demand 30" of width. No one is doing quality, live entertainment lighting from a phone or tablet. They're great tools for set-up and remote focus, but NOT for actually operating a show. IMHO.

Last edited:
I know having a pc wing would be awesome, but if I spent $3000 on something that ends up as a toy and possibly not used more than a handful of times the wife would kill me. Don't get me wrong, I see the value of the wing and wished I could just drop the money on one, but just can't at this time. I like being to expand to a second universe, not just to save cable, but for the added functionality for the price. From what I am seeing, I can get a couple of universes for about the same as a universe and a splitter. Or maybe even just get two of the magicq dongles. We have one hotel in town that had 58 dimmers just for the house lights. Thankfully during this last remodle, it was reduced to 36. Anyway, back to point, a wing would have to wait for the time being and maybe I am being paranoid, but would perfer 2 universes for the extra outputs when using movers and covience of multiple routing.

As far as deserving the space, if I need the space and/or were doing a larger production, I probably wouldn't care. It's just that I know I will have simple sets and simple looks that won't need much tweaking much if any other than just hitting some cues. Fortunatly I know my addresses and, most of the time, the basic set and can start setting colours and dimmers ahead of time. That way when I arrive I would only need to finalize position. It's not so much what I diserve, it's what I need.

If you're looking for an inexpensive way to have a few faders and buttons, look into a midi board. I haven't done it personally, but there are plenty of guys out there running Hog, MA, Chamsys, etc out there off of a laptop, with a Midi interface to give them some faders and buttons. Would be an inexpensive way to start out and learn the software, although it takes a bit more programming on the front end to make sure that everything is working. Do a few searches around for midi controllers and light boards.

So you are wanting to buy a personal console for use in the company you work for productions? Are you renting them the ability to not have to send a console out? are you charging them for them to use your console or are you just doing it because you don't want to work with their stuff?

If its for a companies production let the company buy it, if its because you don't want to have to deal with their stuff, just remember buying something now for <$1k and having to repurchase something else down the line means you've spent more money for something a $3k console will get you right now with no hassles or trouble.

Honestly set out another table. I'm sorry video guys can stack their crap they don't need to see the stage they need to see their monitors (for all I care they can be in a separate room) as far as audio go's they should share the space. Each department either getting their own table or shared 3 ways equally.

If you check the web sites for either Enttec or DMXKing, you will find a listing of software that will do what you want. They list for all operating systems, including Linux. Both have interface models that have two universes.

Thank you everyone for your advice. Well, I have decided for now just to go ahead and get the MagicQ DMX Full for now and then expand with the full pc wing down the road. It seems like that's going to give me the most flexability and bang for my buck. As far as using what work has or charging them back or etc. I just always have been one of those people that had rather rely on something that's mine than someone else's. I also have other local companies wanting me to freelance doing repairs and it will also help with that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back