Control/Dimming Software upgrade for ETC Ion??

flyweed

Hey folks. so life gets hectic and busy....so...to cut to the chase..since we installed our ETC Ion back in 2013 we haven't done a software update on it. I believe we are still on V. 2.0 patch 0.0

My question is...WHAT is the correct update I need to use from ETC Connect?? Also, we just purchased 14 Colorsourc Cyc lights..and I can't find the Profile for it for the Ion. If anyone can point me to the profile for that, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks
Dan

There is no reason not to upgrade to the latest version which is 2.9.1. The upgrade is a pretty big jump since you're about a decade out of date. There are some firmware updates that ought to be installed too. The nice people at ETC would be happy to walk you through an upgrade.

https://www.etcconnect.com/Contact/Americas.aspx

There likely isn't a Colorsource library update that is compatible with 2.0 but the fixture is in more recent libraries that are packaged with the upgrade.

Pertinent note from 2.9.0 release notes:

Eos v2.9.0 is released for Windows 7 and XP-based hardware. As the final feature release for XP, there will be other releases forthcoming for 2.9 (even after 3.0 is released) to support new network hardware as needed, but these are not anticipated to include new features, or modifications to existing ones. As such, 2.9 is largely a clean-up release, addressing a number of anomalies across the application software. Please note that we will continue to make fixture library patches available for 2.9.
Your console is probably running XP Embedded, in which case 2.9.x will be the last run of updates you can apply to it without going through the Windows 7 Rebuild/Upgrade process.

It's still a very recent update that will turn on many new features for you, but there are also some exciting features on the books for 3.0 that will be inaccessible so long as your Ion is running XP Embedded.

Should be able to find much of what you need in this Wiki: Updating Software on an Eos Family Console

What a coincidence - I was just coming to ask the same question. The Element I'm using right now hasn't been updated since it was purchased in the fall of 2015.

You might need new key caps too. Some of the keys got reassigned and renamed over the years. ETC will ship you a set if you contact them with the serial number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back