software

cisgrig

We have been given an old laptop running Windows XP. I would like to use this in the sound booth for making sound cue CDs, moving from cassets to CDs, etc. What is a good software to use for this? I've tried MS Media player, it rips fine, but wont burn, doesn't 'see' the blank CD. I'm thinking that the CD must be formated or something. Any and all suggestions/comments will be appreciated

We have been given an old laptop running Windows XP. I would like to use this in the sound booth for making sound cue CDs, moving from cassets to CDs, etc. What is a good software to use for this? I've tried MS Media player, it rips fine, but wont burn, doesn't 'see' the blank CD. I'm thinking that the CD must be formated or something. Any and all suggestions/comments will be appreciated

Have you tried using a new CD you know is unformmated?

Also, make sure you're not trying to use a CD-RW in a CD-R drive, or a CD+RW in a CD-RW drive.

Other than that, try an iTunes playlist or Winamp. Both free.

What are you using to pull the sound from the Cassette to the Computer?

Depending on how old the computer is you might have a CD reader, and not a CD burner. For software I would recommend Audacity, its free and with the correct setup you can record cassettes.

EDIT:Dang it, you beat me to it!

Last edited:
I prefer using a several step process.

You can use a cd burner program such as Roxio to convert the analog audio to digital wav files. From there, use one of many audio tools like protools to clean it up, then burn it back to cd if necessary.

Two other possibilities:

360 Systems - Maxx-1200HD makes instant playback systems so any audio file is instantly available at the touch of a button. I'll bet their older units are available on ebay.

I have heard that quicktime allows you to have multiple instances open, so you can just have each file ready to play as needed, then push play from the mouse. Never tried it tho.

Re: software Update

Hey, thanks a lot, just now got Audacity loaded in, changed from laptop to 'real' computer, etc. Here is my set up so far: 'mic' input @ computer to my board through one of the AUX out port, 'speaker' out to the board through regular channel input.
Now then, I can play CDs, and sound effects,etc. from computer to the board. This afternoon I was trying to get a CD play, through the board to record in Audacity. I'm an old guy, why read directions. But I was trying to cypter through them, but could not get anything to 'show up'. The program kept looking for a CD or files already on the computer. I'm missing something. Understand will have to convert my sound effects (wmv) to something else to edit in most any of these programs and then convert back if I want to record on a CD.
I've also downloaded and got a license for AVS4you - looks interesting, will get one of my student types to get his head into it AFTER we conquer Audacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back