(some) elation fuze profiles freaking out

Rainmaker

Hi all. Just received a month or so ago a shipment of 5 brand new elation fuze profiles. Two of them are currently in my overstage rig and work great. The other 3 are front of house and will have a very brief (but very noticeable) jitter every 4-5 minutes.

I've tried the usual troubleshooting things with DMX. Power cycling console (ETC Ion Xe with latest 3.1 update and newest fixture library) as well as the lights. Running a home run to each light individually. Checking that the personality in the light matches the board. Changing personalities on both. Trying different cables. Checking address/universe/patch. And nothing works!

I find it hard to believe that 3 of the 5 are duds and I just happen to have put them all together, but I have no idea what's going on. They otherwise work great but obviously that half a second freak out every 5 minutes isn't workable for a show situation.

Any ideas? I think I put in all of the relevant info but let me know.

Hi all. Just received a month or so ago a shipment of 5 brand new elation fuze profiles. Two of them are currently in my overstage rig and work great. The other 3 are front of house and will have a very brief (but very noticeable) jitter every 4-5 minutes.

I've tried the usual troubleshooting things with DMX. Power cycling console (ETC Ion Xe with latest 3.1 update and newest fixture library) as well as the lights. Running a home run to each light individually. Checking that the personality in the light matches the board. Changing personalities on both. Trying different cables. Checking address/universe/patch. And nothing works!

I find it hard to believe that 3 of the 5 are duds and I just happen to have put them all together, but I have no idea what's going on. They otherwise work great but obviously that half a second freak out every 5 minutes isn't workable for a show situation.

Any ideas? I think I put in all of the relevant info but let me know.
@Rainmaker Does the freak out coincide with the starting of any other substantial loads such as a Centra Vac or HEAVY air handler for example? I gather you've already tried a terminator.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

With many brands of lights, I've noticed intermittent issues if RDM is enabled on the desk. It can even make some lower end optosplitters freak out, unfortunately. I will only turn RDM on if I need it at this point given the multitude of issue it has caused.

Alright, so last night on a whim I tried moving the fuzes to a different universe (passed through a showbaby I already had there) and it worked. I placed the other fixtures on the 4th universe and it also worked.

I have no idea why this would have worked...

Any insight why putting them in universe 3 (with other stuff in the stream) made them work alright while when they were in universe 4 with nothing else there (while testing) caused them to freak out? Should I call ETC after the show is over to see if they have any insight? This whole thing was just funky 🙃

I also disabled RDM at the desk but that hadn't fixed it in my isolation testing scenario

If changing universes also changed physical ports, then it could be be a bad driver chip, or some other component for that output. A slightly unbalanced output would cause noise issues.
Yeah it was a different physical port. The strange part is that the other lights I then attached to that port worked flawlessly. I suppose that doesn't necessarily rule out an issue with the board but that would be weird. This whole thing has just been odd 🤷

Users who are viewing this thread

Back