Some general console advice?

IAmLumenator

Premium Member
I don't really have a lot of experience with large lighting consoles, just some small ones.

I use FreeStyler a lot, sometimes MagicQ PC, also I have a small Elation DMX Operator Pro that I feel I have outgrown.

On the Elation board, I had (8) fixture buttons on the left and 8 faders below (with a channel bank fader, like a layer 1/2 for 1-8 or 9-16) and each fixture button addressed a single group of 16 channels starting at 1. There was also a handy-dandy joystick.

The right side of the board was designed for 8 channels of conventional lighting that I used for LED control, all LEDs on the stage set to the same address. Both sides had scenes and chases but they were very limited all-or-nothing approaches, so I only used them for abrupt changes. The chases were a little better but only pan and tilt (or all channels) could be set to fade instead of snap.

I got very comfortable with simply operating two fixtures from a single fixture button (with the pan inverted on one fixture), and using the faders themselves to set channel values. After I decided to upgrade from this console, I looked at FreeStyler and MagicQ because they both supported my OpenDMX dongle. Freestyler was pretty easy to pick up, mainly because of it's homegrown nature and it's relative simplicity.

MagicQ was another story. The programmer is quite cool, as is the FX generator and built in LED mapper. But how do you create something like an 'Override button'? Can't I have a button that forces the entire stage into a 'Safe' look, or perhaps sets a couple of related features like the mover's beam functions into one coherent appearance across 4-6 different channels (intensity, shutter, prism+rot, gobo+rot, iris, focus, etc)? I don't really use intensity much on any of my fixtures except my conventionals, so the entire playback/submaster fader seems like a waste.

Now trying to move to more complex consoles seems to be somewhat of a culture shock. Some consoles do have palettes or libraries, but I'm finding it really difficult and time-consuming to program a decent library of cues to cover the types of situations that busking a music festival needs to be able to cover.

One other thing: I hated losing my fixture channels on faders. Encoders are nowhere close to the feel of a fader for changing channel values. My Elation allows you to patch channels within fixtures, so I always had the same channel order (Pan, Tilt, Color, Gobo, Shutter, Intensity, etc) for each fixture. I could run this thing without looking at it once. I did a lot of research into Freestyler (see my walkthrough post in this forum that's still a work in progress, but mostly complete) and bought a BCF2000, but submasters just feel so clunky compared to direct control of each feature.

When you guys are working with intelligent lights or LEDs, what do you even use the submaster fader itself for? Do you Do you make it a speed control for the cue, if possible? How do you lay out your work on a console like an ETC or a GrandMA or something like that while controlling multiple types of lights?

First off, ETC's offerings as far as what I've used (the EOS line) are limited when it comes to busking. When I'm working with GrandMA however Faders become less used the more look (effects) I get generated. Touch screen buttons help tremendously. Speed is probably one of the biggest uses I've had with faders, along with color Selection. I've also used it to control how far each movement can go. Lower the fader the ballyhoo or the wave becomes smaller. Raise it up and the effect uses more of the room.

I'm no expert on MPC but I know you can record a effect into a sub master and then set the fader to control the speed (and a lot of other things I can't even fathom needing to do at this stage in my lighting work). To do so set up and record an effect to a fader. I'm sure there is a lot better way to do this, but I usually leave all of the intensity at 0. Same with beam and color attributes. Kind of a pain because you can't see how the effect is gonna turn out until you've recorded the effect into a sub. You also have to make separate subs for intensities too.
To set a fader as speed control, double click the grey box that shows information about the fader (name?). Then in the menu box click "View Options" and you should see an option called "Fader controls speed".

As far as "Overrides" go I think you can use executes (labeled exce under the windows selection)? I'm not sure though. I just stick with freestyler because it meets my needs for now and I can just map out the overrides to my keyboard and so far I've been able to do Okish with just using a mouse. Ideally I'll upgrade to a touchscreen or a BCF2000 sometime. Probably a touchscreen because then I could use MPC more easily since MPC doesn't accept MIDI without buying additional hardware. If someone could tell me I'm wrong on that I'd be happy though.

And thanks for your post about freestyler! That led me to do a few more things I don't normally do with it and made the dance I DJed tonight go a lot smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back