some issues with palette VL classic.

MPsx

These probably arnt issues with the board, probably just our noobness. but we have a couple problems that im sure you have a solution for.

1. unparking lights - we can park them easy enough but we cant figure out how to unpark them. this was a real problem the other day when for some reason when we turned fixtures on, they decided to park them selfes... i've read things that said to park you do something like 18@50 park enter and to unpark you would do 18@ park enter but that doesnt work for us. it just stays parked.

2. fx not stopping - we might have the solution to this, i read the other day to save deltas only and itll stop the effect but what was happening is we would have a cue, say cue 1, and cue 1 would be running something like rainbow on our wall lights then we would want to turn it off on cue 2 so we do stop effect and record cue 2, and then the rainbow turns on again.

3. sometimes when we make an effect we cant make more - like ill click effect from the softkey bar and do new intensity and make an effect, then ill want to creat another one but when i click effect again it just gives me options for the current effect

4. not a problem yet - we are going to add some RGB filters to these lights we have for our scrim. i was wondering can it be patched so that we can control it as one fixtured and just mix the colors. each color would have its own channel.

5. any ideas for how to make a show more exciting? we do a lot of stuff with the choirs. especially the FX show choir. and i just want the lights to be cooler for the shows. were limited to led lights on our auditurium walls, about 50 ellipsoidal hanging from our catwalk, and about 20 fresnels above the stage. and then a few stip lights above the stage for the scrim. we do some flashing and stuff but that can get boring any ideas? we even decided for the last show to add about 10 ellipsoidals on the side of the stage pointing at the audience for something different.

Thank you for all your help!

It's been a few years since I've used my Palette so I'm a bit rusty and can't remember all these things.

1) Can't remember

2) Yes if I remember right, a delta save will take care of your problem. You could also go to Cue 0 (a completely empty cue) between recording cues.

3) Can't remember

4) You can lie to your console and patch all your cyc lights as a single Generic RGB fixture. In patch you select generic RGB, then you patch in all the R channel numbers, all the G channel numbers, and all the B channel numbers. Then you can select that "One" fixture and use the color picker or gel matcher. It's not super accurate, but it's surprisingly good. I recommend splitting your stage into several zones and creating multiple fake RGB fixtures so that you can do more than one color effect at a time.

5) Experiment with different color washes. The classic rock and roll lighting look is lots of colored down light, side light, and back light with enough white-ish or pastel colored light from the front to make the faces pop. The front light is usually done with follow spots in the classic rock and roll look but that's not a problem for you. So for your situation, keep enough fixtures out front with a amber, light pink, or light blue gel in them so that you can still light up faces. Then move all your other fixtures into down, side, or back light locations and put more intense gel in them. If you can, get a whole set of lights that are the same color and have breakup gobos in them. So here's an example. Dark Blue gel lights pointing down or from the back, a bright yellow gel from the front sides all with breakup gobos (out of focus so you can't see what the pattern is), and then hit the whole thing with a pale blue from the front to light faces. It'll look very dramatic. Set up a simple test rig where you can try different gel combinations to see what you like. Go nuts! High school is the perfect time to experiment with colors and make mistakes that don't look great.

We don't have a lot of Strand people hanging around CB. So if you don't get the help you need on those other questions, try www.strand-dev.com It's a forum which is followed by Strand employees.

1. select the fixtures to unpark. then shift, alt, s8, enter. the shift will change park to unpark in m8, alt will let you select m8 with the s8 key. you should see all this on the command line.

2 in cue 2 select the fixtures that are in the effect and force delta on them. alt, s6. then update cue 2. if you don't want the fixtures in cue 2 them put them at 0 and update.

3 if you are wanting to do two intensity effects on the same fixtures you would need to record them seperatly. set up effect and record into look 1 then set up different effect and record into look 2. you could create an effect look page and save them there.

4 not sure about your question

5 I would watch some other shows and try to get ideas from them. You might try using gobo's to add some texture to the stage.

I hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back