Some Questions About Safety

The scaffolds in the pictures are great, but where are the side rails around the work platform? One false step, and so much for safety.

Chances are that the only reason the rails are not there is that someone was too lazy to put them up. The same often happens with cross bracing, the result being a scaffold that shakes and shimmies with every little movement.

The same often happens with cross bracing, the result being a scaffold that shakes and shimmies with every little movement.

Yea, I got into a huge argument with a promoter once. We were supplying two super troupers and when we got there the scaffold was set up 4 high with a cross brace every other section! Much to the anger of the LD with the band, we finally got the house crew to reset the scaffold 2 frames high, but with all needed parts. Top rails are a must as there are no "do-overs" for miss-steps.

Just out of curiosity, how do you go about moving a super trouper of that size and weight up the side of a scaffolding without tipping it over?

The fairgrounds had a small crane truck (Think landscaping) Getting them up was the easy part. Waiting around all night for them to get around to you was the hard part. Scaffold was two frames wide. (about 10x8 on the top)

In the movie Woodstock is footage of a Super Trouper being hoisted by a cable with a crane, while a man rides alongside the fixture, standing on its base. Don't try this at home kids!

In the movie Woodstock is footage of a Super Trouper being hoisted by a cable with a crane, while a man rides alongside the fixture, standing on its base. Don't try this at home kids!

Death wish, I guess!

They would usually lift the bases up, two riggers would go up and guide the lamphouses in, then we would go up, wire them and test them. It was a union location so we ~usually~ didn't have to run them. (There always seamed to be a debate as to if the outside location was really union or not, so sometimes they would show, and sometimes not!)

The scaffolds in the pictures are great, but where are the side rails around the work platform? One false step, and so much for safety.

Chances are that the only reason the rails are not there is that someone was too lazy to put them up. The same often happens with cross bracing, the result being a scaffold that shakes and shimmies with every little movement.

In my photo that's because of the low-ceiling which doesn't allow for enough room to work. That was assembled by my ETCP rigger who came in with a helper to put up four sets of trussing in our house and then bolt each one to the flanges of I-beams. If he had put the rails on, he wouldn't have been able to move, and probably would've put himself in more danger hanging out of the side of that to maneuver the trusses. Also in his defense, he wasn't even standing on there, he was sitting with his legs hanging over the edge the entire time, plus he did put both the X-braces and an additional diagonal brace in.

The photo I put up is from the website of a company selling that product. I'm not a scaffold expert, but my guess is the safety rails don't work when your scaffold is THAT far away from level.

I've always wanted to do that, or more run a spotlight from a platform held up by a crane.....

anyhow a cheaper solution that I think was mentioned earlier on, could you build some custom decking to put over your seats that a ladder could sit on safely? Otherwise a boom lift from onstage may work well.

anyhow a cheaper solution that I think was mentioned earlier on, could you build some custom decking to put over your seats that a ladder could sit on safely? Otherwise a boom lift from onstage may work well.

This isn't a bad idea although we are apparently relying on high school carpentry skills... without a lot of good adult leadership... to keep you safe up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back