Some VW or CAD help please.

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
Hey guys, I've got about three weeks until my first show opens. I haven't been trained on the sound system, I'm getting retrained on the lighting system Friday, half my inventory needs to be bench focused, the list goes on and on and time is ticking. Today I got a digital copy of the prints for the theater, VW, and I have a shiny new 24" plotter. Unfortunately, there's no way I'm going to have the "spare time" to learn to use it in time to be able to do my light plot. So I need to do my plot by hand. However in order to save a bunch of time there, I was hoping maybe someone out there who is a VW/CAD master could help me.

I was thinking maybe someone would be kind enough to take my file that has the whole second floor of the building and delete everything except the basic theater grid... Unless there is a way I can print only that part of the theater... like I said I'm a total VW newbie. Just looking for a way to print out the catwalks so I don't have to free draw them too before I do my plot.

Good news is I have the whole training software package. So once I get the time, I should be set for learning it.

Thanks Soundman. This will save me a lot of time and problem solved in about 10 minutes. Took me longer to figure out how to convert the file over to version 12 then it did for you to answer.

Last edited:
...This will save me a lot of time.
Exactly how long does it take you to hand draw eight pipes 48' long??? Until you become VW2008-fluent, would you like to borrow a lighting symbol template? I have about 20. I bet you'd like my 1:25 metric one, right? My favorite, and most used, is the 1/4"=1'-0" business card size in my wallet.

I think I can also scare up some blank Instrument Schedule and Hook-up pages on mimeograph paper, if that would help you.:twisted:

Exactly how long does it take you to hand draw eight pipes 48' long??? Until you become VW2008-fluent, would you like to borrow a lighting symbol template? I have about 20. I bet you'd like my 1:25 metric one, right? My favorite, and most used, is the 1/4"=1'-0" business card size in my wallet.
I think I can also scare up some blank Instrument Schedule and Hook-up pages on mimeograph paper, if that would help you.:twisted:

Don't make me come down there Derek, as I warned you things might change in your world!

I wanted to have the whole drawing with the catwalks too. I have the feeling I'm going to need to do 3 or 4 plots between now and the end of the year... when I'm likely to have the time to learn the software. I could draw it by hand but it would be so much easier to just hit print. Heck I can even print it out and let my students do some hand plots for teaching.

You've got mail. I didn't clean the file up so its still coming in at one meg but it has a saved view for you to use. Let me know if I took something out that you want left in or visa versa.

...Heck I can even print it out and let my students do some hand plots for teaching.
Teach them how lighting plots are done in the real world: in bars on cocktail napkins!

At least my wallet template adds a slight air of creditability.

The instrument schedule is best done on the back of a laminated menu in marker because it is easier to up date. Also if you sit at the bar long enough you have the paper for your hanging tape right there. If you are REALLY thinking you could space it out, every rum and coke is a S4 19 every scotch and soda is a S4 26, a pint of beer is a 6" fresnel and a pitcher is an 8".

Would anyone like to start a new USITT standard with me? The real hard part will be expensing off a tab that big.

Last edited:
You've got mail. I didn't clean the file up so its still coming in at one meg but it has a saved view for you to use. Let me know if I took something out that you want left in or visa versa.

That's perfect. Thanks sound man! :grin:

"Lamented Menu"

Quite possibly the greatest typo ever! :lol:

Yeah my policy has always been if you can't build a set piece designed on a napkin you can't work for me.

Here's a copy of a plot I received via e-mail from a designer...

By the way he did admit that it was "totally ghetto." I believe the email's subject read "It's better to be a gin soaked grape, than a raisin in the sun."

Attachments

• Template.pdf
    312.2 KB · Views: 231
Here's a copy of a plot I received via e-mail from a designer...
By the way he did admit that it was "totally ghetto." I believe the email's subject read "It's better to be a gin soaked grape, than a raisin in the sun."

Yes but it clearly states there is "more info to come" ;)

Perhaps a second napkin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back