something like lightwright?

nuggetman

I'm doing lights for an upcoming production of Joseph, and I'm looking for a program similar to Lightwright but... free. i don't have $175 to blow on a student license. any suggestions?

Like dj_illusions said, some sort of spread sheet will do the job well. I have set up a template for myself now so I just put in the new info per show and the information needed is generated. I dont use that as much as I used to now that I use WYSIWYG and Venctorworks.

Hey Digi, would there be anyway I could con you out of your excelt template? =)

I've used a demo of WYSYWIG for a while, great program from what I saw of it. I really wanted to play around with that 3D render of scenes a bit more, but that was just a toy. The instrument schedule and light plot were probably my primary use features...and I can do the plot with AutoCAD, but instrument scheduling is still sloppy and cumbersome =/

nuggetman said:
well.. the demo version isnt as crippled as expected... perhaps i can just use that

the demo version allows you to do everything that the normal version allows, the only problem is you can't have more then 75 fixtures. If you have fewer then 75 fixtures, then your fine.

just go for exel. some program, i cant remember, after to plot all the fixtures creates a lightwright sheet for you.

I'm doing lights for an upcoming production of Joseph, and I'm looking for a program similar to Lightwright but... free. i don't have $175 to blow on a student license. any suggestions?

You can try out and use lightwright for free. The demo version limits you to using only 75 worksheet rows, but other wise it is a fully functional version of the actual software.

I have generated all of my spreadsheets up till now by using Word with the headings of each section in the header. Can be rearanged, the page # is shown with how many pages you have (best for if something gets misplaced)

If you want i can post the document i use for you guys to look at.

Excel is good, but you may also look into a database program like Microsoft Access or FileMaker Pro. With the data base programs you will be able to generate paperwork in various layouts easily and similarly to LightWright. It may take alittle bit of time to set up the layouts, but once you do you will have a template to use over and over.

Then again, excel is nice and flexible, there just isn't any automatic tools that sort things for you but you can choose your own layout for each piece of paperwork you are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back