Sound 101 - Powerpoint?

Something to use as a guide, as I walk about 12 college students through Intro to Theatre Sound, so they can follow along, and -- largely -- so I don't dive off a cliff in detail, as I am wont to do. :)
Reinforcement; vocal & orchestral Vs. background and foreground SFX.
Making vocal reinforcement sound like it's coming from the lips of the performer, wherever they're positioned.
Making effects sound like they're emanating from any obvious sources.
Placing speakers within radios, TV's, etcetera.
Using actual door and phone bells rather than recordings.
There's a few hints to get you started.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Well, yeah, but much of that is properly the domain of the stagecraft instructor who's subbing me in to talk about driving the equipment; I was insufficiently clear.

Far more than 12 slides, but I've found how Jason Romney packages his lectures at UNCSA to be very accessible.

There are many different topics that can covered. Step 1 is identifying what you want the students to take away from the lecture. Nobody's going to learn how to run hardware in 12 slides, so it's probably better to focus on core concepts and stay agnostic of any particular equipment.

I put this together for a seminar I used to teach at a local HS. Initially the idea was "feed all the techies pizza and give them some exposure", we quickly learned that there's only a small subset who (like I did at that age) thrive on this sort of nutrition. Help yourself, please credit me if you use it.

Attachments

• 121106 CPS Audio Mini-Class.pdf
    147.7 KB · Views: 153

Users who are viewing this thread

Back