Sound Advice

I'd like advice on anything and everything to do with sound, specifically running it. Best equipment? I need advice on a set-up too. I have no experience in this, but am looking to learn, because I think it would be fun to do, for the sake of making a band or really anything using sound on a stage sound good.

You need to be waaaay more specific...we could just list the best equipment available, hundreds of thousands of dollars worth but there is no way a brand new band just starting out would be able to afford that stuff. You need to give us a budget. I.E. How many thousands of dollars are you going to be willing to spent on a sound system? You're going to need most likely at least $3,000 to get anything even worthwhile for a small venue. Even with used equipment you're going to need quite a bit of money. What Venue's are you going to be playing? Bars, Clubs, Performing Arts Centers, Concert Halls, Stadiums, Outdoors or Indoors? We need way more information and explination.

As for running the sound for a show, try searching this forum, or even google for information.

Equipment gets pretty much exponentially more expensive the bigger venue you go to. We spent $7000 this past year at the MVPAC just replacing our Main Amplifiers and the System Processor. It's an 800 seat venue and the Sound System all together cost around $80,000 from Mics to Speakers and everything in between. It really starts adding up.

Here's my advice list:

1. Buy the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook and treat it as the Audio Bible.
2. After reading that, remind yourself that you DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING. If you forget that fact, you will be reminded (gently or not-so-gently) of it when you stick your foot in your mouth.
3. Remember that there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
4. Do whatever you can to get involved in the industry - talk to local companies and see if they need extra hands to coil cables and move gear. You will almost certainly NOT get to mix anytime soon, so learn to lift properly and how that company likes their cables coiled.
5. Experiment with your knowledge - that is the best way to see what works and what doesn't. Then, afterwards, go back and read the theories behind what you were doing. Get to know the how's, why's, and when's of the industry.
6. Learn that more-often-than-not, any specific questions you have about a system, room, or equipment will be met with a response of, "it depends".
7. Don't be a push-over. Be willing to do things, but don't let people use you as their doormat. (see my signature quote)

Never stop learning, always ask questions, and realize you are not God's gift to the world (not saying you actually feel that way, mind you). Good luck!

Last edited:
howlingwolf487 and Sony are abslolutely right. The people here could tell you anything and everything about sound systems and all that jazz, but the only way to really learn is to get out there and do it yourself. If you've got any more specific questions, this forum is a great place to go, but otherwise, follow the list in the post above this one, and you'll learn more about sound than you ever could on the internet.
By the way, howlingwolf487, I love your your signature line. It has made it's way into my every day life.

By the way, howlingwolf487, I love your your signature line. It has made it's way into my every day life.

Heh...I bought a shirt with that on it and make it a point to wear it to every rehearsal of <insert gig here>. You know, there are some people/groups you just don't want to talk to - I think the shirt helps me say what I'm thinking.

I might suggest getting good at diplomatically telling people to bugger off. It has been said that in theatre, everyone knows 2 jobs, theirs and sound...

I'll quite happily let someone else's lack of planning constitute an emergency response on my behalf, so long as they are cool with me charging it at an appropriately increased rate... There is a weighting factor when I write a bill as to the level of stress etc as well as the number of continuous hours and a number of similar factors...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back