Sound Board

HandyMan

:confused: Ok, i transferd schools back in aug, and since then, i've become the tech-guru...im familiar with lighting, and did a little dabbeling in sound, manily hangin mic's from heaven cuz noone else wanted to climb upt there, and im the only student who knows how to run what, and why you do this..apart form the theatre teacher and the choir teacher...anyway, i started becomin intrested in doing sound, manily b/c there was noone else to do the job, and it was something that i wanted to learn how to do. My school has a Mackie CFX-16 channel mixer, and from what i have figured out, from playin around with it and reading the few sites that have been of help, i still can not for the life of me, figure out how to get sound sent from the input in to be sent out thru the speakers...i dont know if it has somthing to do with the board, of the way the system is set up, if anyone knows anything as to why this isnt workin, i'd appreaciate it...

The only advice that I can give you is to try everything thing you can possibly come up with, and then ask someone else. My theory is usually that if I can't fix it I need to try and find Mr.E, our band director. If he can't solve the problem, we cry. Maybe there is a simple cord not completely plugged in...it happens.

schniaperaelli, im talking about the tape input..i've got all the mic inputs working just fine...

and techies, yea, as of a few weeks ago, theres noone else at my school who knows more than i do about that mixer...and that is a sad, sad thing..

For the tape input, you need to hit the "Break Switch" in the master controls section. The volume is also adjusted by the knob above it. But, when this switch is activated, then it mutes all of the other channels. (It is usually used for intermission music, or as a universal mute button)

If you want to have music playing, and mics on at the same time, then you'll have to put the music on one of the channels. (Channels 9/10 or 11/12 would work well for this)

Since it's a 16 channel board, the two high faders should be stereo faders, 13/14, and 15/16. I have the CFX-20 and use my stereo channels (17/18 and 19/20) for the CD inputs. You have to get an RCA-to-1/4" cable pair to connect up.

As Schniapereli mentions, the tape input doesn't do much other than play music during breaks, and I believe the only way to play through the tape inputs is by muting the rest of the board. So, this is not a "mixing" input channel. If you were hoping to get an extra mixing channel on this board, sorry ...

the tape switch in the control section trips up many folks with these mackie boards, either you only get tape and no mics or the other way around, as mentioned you are much better using line in on you last stereo inputs

Sharyn

Hey, and if you are looking to upgrade, I may have a CFX-20 ready to go pretty soon ... ;)

The tape break switch may be the single worst feature execution i've seen on a lower end analogue mixer!!

Most definitely. If they'd just eliminate it everything would be much better. If they'd not link it to the tape in that'd be fine to, just a kill switch for everything but the tape in. But the fact that you can't use the tape in unless all of the other channels are muted is Mackie's (and some other brands') worst flaw.

Guys, this was designed intentionally by Mackie to deal with the potential tampering with the sound board by passers-by during intermission. No one wants to hear your leading lady flushing the toilet backstage ...! It is stated as such in the manual -- this was not designed to be a channel input to the mixer, only a pre-post-intermission music input.

The tape break switch may be the single worst feature execution i've seen on a lower end analogue mixer!!

I'd have to say a 7-band graphic EQ that applies to both the mains and monitors is one of the worst features I've seen on small-format boards...

Guys, this was designed intentionally by Mackie to deal with the potential tampering with the sound board by passers-by during intermission. No one wants to hear your leading lady flushing the toilet backstage ...! It is stated as such in the manual -- this was not designed to be a channel input to the mixer, only a pre-post-intermission music input.

I don't really have a problem with the design or concept, if there had a been a better(read more obvious)way to integrate the feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back