Sound Card that shows at multiple soundcards

Fatcatpro

I've looked through the dozens of threads on here on choosing a sound card but what I am looking for is a card that will show up as multiple cards.
The reason I want this is I'm looking to get a Mac pro for the theater that can stay as an in house machine but I would like to have a card, 4-10 outputs and be able to use 2 as local monitors and others as outputs for qlab. The problem I have is if I set the Mac system preferences to the sound card it will use 1&2, and when I select the card in qlab it will use 1&2 as default.
Is there a card out there that every 2 outputs shows up as a separate output rather than a card with 8 outputs for example?

Thanks for any recommendations.
Addison

Could you use the Mac's built-in stero output for the monitor and the howevermany channels of the sound card for your QLab output?

Edit: Other than that, I think you'd be out of luck for splitting a single physical device into multiple virtual ones.

Last edited:
You might be able to use SoundFlower or a similar routing program to do what you are looking for. It essentially creates virtual sound cards in the machine that have a variety of routing options. I don't have time to give it a read through to know if it would work for your exact situation but I have used it to achieve all sorts of routing inside the computer between different programs. Give it a read and a download. Let me know if you need help.

URL: Soundflower – Cycling 74

EDIT: You may also be able to solve this issue by re"patching" the device in the Qlab settings under audio settings. If you click the "edit device" button you can remap channel 1 and 2 in Qlab to be output 3 and 4 on the sound card and so on. This way you can leave 1 and 2 un-patched so that qlab cannot send sound to them unless the patch is changed. This feature may only be available in the pro version however, not entirely sure.

Last edited:
if you're running through a sound board can't you just aux out what you want to send to the monitors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back