Sound Cue Software

Thank you for the link Jonathan,

I quite agree and even applaud Creative Common's licensed material. I really enjoy open source and will donate money to whatever projects I use on this site. However, you may notice that the forum software is not open source. This was intentional because the site was growing to the point where I needed to be able to get help with keeping the site up and running when I needed it and a lot of open source cannot provide that level of support.
I also believe that software that may benefit humankind should be open source and supported by a company with donations from citizens, corporations, and the government. I, however, I do not support efforts to illegally break and distribute said software. I would rather have the creator do that themselves.

An exception to that viewpoint is any technologies that violate the concept of Fair Use. I don't support Digital Rights Management applied blindly to all media and distribution models. Rhapsody's encoding is acceptable, because you are only paying to stream music, not to own it. I don't support Sony's BluRay encoding, because there is no way to back up the video you bought. The right to back up your media was, interestingly enough, established in Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, 464 U.S. 417 (1984), or more commonly known as The Betamax Case. I support clear and sensible solutions that will not hinder user's legal use of the media.

A final note on my opinion, just because I said I don't support over-reaching DRM scheme's doesn't mean I support the methods that break them. Nor will I allow discussions on the topic.

-dvsDave

Wow I take a quick shot at a guy for pirating software and go away for two days and while I'm away he flips out and gets himself banned...

Dave You Da Man!!!

Young folks who are reading this thread. Listen to what Dave said there in that last post. While they have been slow in keeping up so far, the music, video, and software industries will eventually figure a way to lock us out of everything. Then we all lose our fair use rights... which is LAME!! Home CD and DVD recording technology has been around a lot longer than it has been available in this country. Why? Because the film industry blocked it for years, fearing we would just steal DVD's. And they were right. If we keep stealing software and music, the industries will make sure that the next generation of recording technology (HD-DVD or Blueray recording decks) will never be made available for home consumer use. And nobody wants that.

Want your next generation of I-pod locked down so hard you can't transfer a CD you own onto it? Keep stealing music and it'll happen.

So, this was a thread about something useful, and it has turned into a completely different thread about something equally useful, which is cool. I think it is important to take note that royalties, copyright, fair use, and licencing are all topics where ignorance is the opposite of bliss. The more you know the better off you are. Fair use is good for trying things out, like a free sample at the grocery store. It exists so that users of the software are able to share said software with their friends so that their friends will then buy it if they like it. I wouldn't want to spend $600 dollars of my limited budget for the year on something that might very well not work. So I try, then when I find what works for me, I buy. Now when I was in college, I wasn't making any money off my work, and neither was anybody else, so not paying for software was the only way to go. But now, not only am I making money, but the producers of the show are making money, so we try first, but then when we use the software for profit, we absolutely buy. That is where I draw the line. If I am working for money, then the software is working for money. Fair is fair.

~Adam Terry
TD: PPOF

So, this was a thread about something useful, and it has turned into a completely different thread about something equally useful, which is cool. I think it is important to take note that royalties, copyright, fair use, and licencing are all topics where ignorance is the opposite of bliss. The more you know the better off you are. Fair use is good for trying things out, like a free sample at the grocery store. It exists so that users of the software are able to share said software with their friends so that their friends will then buy it if they like it. I wouldn't want to spend $600 dollars of my limited budget for the year on something that might very well not work. So I try, then when I find what works for me, I buy. Now when I was in college, I wasn't making any money off my work, and neither was anybody else, so not paying for software was the only way to go. But now, not only am I making money, but the producers of the show are making money, so we try first, but then when we use the software for profit, we absolutely buy. That is where I draw the line. If I am working for money, then the software is working for money. Fair is fair.
~Adam Terry
TD: PPOF

While I understand the point you are making, "borrowing to try" is not fair use. It's only fair use if you personally own the product and want to use it in more than one location... but NOT at the same time. So your friend can bring the software over and use it in your theater as long as it isn't being used in their home theater at the same time. What you describe is analogous to shoplifting to see if it fits and then buying it later if you like it or sneaking it back into the store if you don't. While I understand where you are coming from and it is certainly morally superior to just outright piracy, it's still not legal.

The good thing about this mess is many software packages have a free trial version that while not fully functional gives you a really good feel for how it works.

As for the second half of your message it sounds like you are saying if you can't afford it, it's ok to steal. I don't recall that being true when I went car shopping last year. I maintain if you can't afford it use something you can afford.

Not trying to Flame you Squash... just want to be consistent. This is an issue that like Dave said, if we don't clean up our act and do things right the industry is going to find a way to do it for us. Blueray for example is Sony saying, "fine, if you won't play by the rules we will change to rules so you can't play at all". Nobody wants that to be the new standard of fair use.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about Fair Use. Although IANAL, I would point out that one useful application of Fair Use is that you are very much allowed to rip a CD, say a sound effects CD, and then play the sound effects off of a PC (assuming the CD includes the license for public performance) instead of directly from the CD. One of the (many) issues with DRM and other ways that fair use is avoided by copyright holders is that they can attach restrictive licensing that it is illegal to break (thanks to the DMCA) which can prevent you from playing back purchased sound effects with anything other than their player software (for example you might not be able to burn them back onto a CD for use at a venue which has no PC handy).

A very good, and very relevent example of why most DRM scheme's are flawed. At ControlBooth.com, we will support Fair Use as long as the media was purchased legally and is appropriately licensed for your intended use. Again, that is the extent of the topic that we are willing to cover. Any topics on breaking DRM scheme's even if it violates what is understood to be Fair Use, will not be tolerated on this site and it will be deleted without warning.

I've had a private message asking for a centralized place for ControlBooth.com Policies that people can be referred to. ControlBooth.com Staff is working on updating and publishing this content and we will provide public announcements in the future to any addition, removal, and/or revision of the policies. Stay tuned (love that cliche) for further details.

Check out the ControlBooth FAQ for the first installment of the rules. More to come... I'm just really tired and need to hit the sack.

Dave, those rules look quite reasonable. Just a suggestion, OK, two actually, the first is where auctions are being discussed, it refers to contacting the senior team if in doubt or something along those lines. It says to email one of the senior team, whereas elsewhere, the rules have said to PM one of the senior team. Is this something deliberate or just a little boo boo that might benefit from a change for the sake of consistency? Secondly, the forum usage FAQs on PMs refer to PM tracking, something I believe you have chosen not to implement. Is it possible for that section on PM tracking to be removed, or for PM tracking to be enabled?

You do a great job with the rest of the team, keep up the good work.
Cheers Dave.

thanks for catching that typo and we will remove the section on PM tracking.

-David

hmm... unless you find a program that has U3 USB key support, the easiest thing to do is to use freeware sound cue software, and load the installer software on your USB drive, and install the software on each computer that you use. That's the easiest thing that I can think of. However, you will need to have enough user privileges on the computer to be able to install the software. Then just save your playlists... cue sheet.. whatever to your external drive. The only problem is that if the drive letter doesn't match, then the playlists won't work. I don't know how to alleviate that situation. Anybody else have a suggestion to improve upon this scheme?

-David

Sure, use QLab - you should be able to run and store everything on the drive (assuming it's big enough to hold the gigs of uncompressed audio you're using).

Does anyone have any idea what the U3 "technology" is, anyway? I've been able to run applications from my (non-U3) flash drive for years without any problems.

Thanks for advice for QLab. I'll check.
Cue program on external HDD with 2 Gigs of files is very important for me.
It's backup if something is wrong with my mac. I can use any available to finish the show. It's good to have portable apps.

I've played with that U3 thing for about 10 minutes before ripping it off my drive and several friend's who have it on there. It's a neat idea, but very poorly exicuted because of the popups and stuff that it does assuming that you want their product to be front and center instead of realzing it is a utility that should just work in the background.

A notice to the members of ControlBooth.com,

The user ClintonHammond has been banned for violations to the Terms of Service. High School students are our primary audience and we expect our older members to act appropriately.

Thank you,

dvsDave

[emphasis mine]

For the record, Dave, I just ran across this thread, you know how long I've been here, and I had no clue at all that we had a target audience, much less that HS students were it. :)

[emphasis mine]

For the record, Dave, I just ran across this thread, you know how long I've been here, and I had no clue at all that we had a target audience, much less that HS students were it. :)

That thread is from 2007… things changed a bit in the last 7 years. :)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back