Sound Cue Software

Hey folks... Recently became the unofficial sound guy for my local community theatre group.

have about 6 gigs of sound effects.
Use Audacity when I need to 'edit' or record

Have a copy of a program called Virtual DJ that we use to run the effects, off a laptop, through our house amp and speakers.

Wondering if anyone has other software suggestions other than the obvious (winamp etc.)

Thanks!

This topic has been fairly well covered in the past and is a great opportunity for you to get to know the search function. A program called "SFX" from Stage Research is probably the best one out there, but it can be pricey depending on which version you need. There are other cheaper options as well. Do some searching and you should find just about everything you need to know. See what you find and then post some specific follow up questions.

Oh and welcome to the Booth!

People PAY for software?????

Wow.....

Thanks for the welcome back
,-)

Honestly, I usually do search before posting on a forum, but I'd received a "It's Been A While Since You Posted" email, so I just popped in and posted the first topic that came to mind.

The link above is a bloody good source for info... thanks!

*edit... The word d a m n is filtered, but bloody isn't??? ??????

I'm a pretty happy customer of Sound Cue System. It's a reasonably priced home-grown product that has a lot of flexibility, and is actively being supported and enhanced by the author, Mike Daniell, and we are able to provide input and feedback to Mike continuously to help further improve the product. Along with Goldwave, I consider this one of my best theater sound investments.

"Yes, somebody actually has to program them..."

Lucky for me I live in a country where file sharing is legal then eh....

[mod]Admin's note: Please view the replies for why this statement, while technically correct, is out of context.[/mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
"Yes, somebody actually has to program them..."

Or you could say...
"Lucky for me I live in a country where stealing is legal"

Dude, I don't care if it's legal or not. If you are not paying for something that has a price tag on it, you are stealing.

How would you like it if your boss decided to not pay you? You work hard to produce a product or service. You should be compensated for it. Well a programmer is working hard to write software... if you down load it without paying you are stealing. Just because your country is a few years behind in enforcing international copyright laws doesn't make it morally acceptable.

Stepping off the soap box.

This topic has been fairly well covered in the past and is a great opportunity for you to get to know the search function. A program called "SFX" from Stage Research is probably the best one out there, but it can be pricey depending on which version you need. There are other cheaper options as well. Do some searching and you should find just about everything you need to know. See what you find and then post some specific follow up questions.
Oh and welcome to the Booth!
That is the same program i use in My highschool and Love it and i also use Audacity i think it is one of the best Programs out there that is free to use when you need to sdie sound

i also live in Canada and I HATE people who use file sharing programs, like I said before We as a Tech club Have SFX and We paid close to $600 US. for it and let me say Best 600 ever spent

I'm not getting into this whiney argument... The LAW says I'm within it to use a file sharing program....

If you don't like them, don't use them.

Don't try to force your baseless morality on me.

"Fair Use" is the wave of the future. Deal with it.

I'm not getting into this whiney argument... The LAW says I'm within it to use a file sharing program....
If you don't like them, don't use them.
Don't try to force your baseless morality on me.
"Fair Use" is the wave of the future. Deal with it.
First of all, let me introduce myself as the webmaster on this website.
ClintonHammond, let me clarify the Fair Use Clause you alluded to. The Fair Use clause refers to media that has been legally purchased. The law is designed to allow you to move the media to a different format and to create a backup for personaly use, not to be distributed illegally. While Canada has ruled that the use of file-sharing programs does not imply that you are illegally trading media and software, using software without paying for it is still against the law, even in Canada. We on ControlBooth.com do NOT condone, encourage, or allow any discussion about the use, availability or swapping software with an illegally obtained license key. We've asked yourself and others in the past to not violate our rules.

Please understand that we work very hard not to trip any content filters that a school may have put in place to protect high school students from the darker side of the 'net. We don't want to get blocked by these filters and we have very sensitive filters in place to keep our site "clean", so that the school's filter's don't have to. Now, in another post you mentioned that we don't filter the word "bloody". We don't filter that because the word may be used in conversations in the Special f/x forum.
So, we are not imposing our "baseless morality" on you, we are asking you to abide by the rules we have set down. Thank you.

Last edited:
"protect high school students"

I couldn't care less about high school students.... There are bigger 'fish' in the sea that is the internet.

Take ye care.

(I'm file-sharing RIGHT NOW! Deal with it!)

A notice to the members of ControlBooth.com,

The user ClintonHammond has been banned for violations to the Terms of Service. High School students are our primary audience and we expect our older members to act appropriately.

Thank you,

dvsDave

Just my 2 cents please don’t ban me Dave :)

I believe that as a creator of a piece of work you have the right to decided how it is distributed.

Wither you agree or not the law is there. A great web site Creative Commons is a great resource for open source items.

Check it out its a interesting way to distribute your creative works.
JH

I agree that Creative Commons is a great idea. But when it comes to software, there is usually a massive amount of R&D that goes in to it, thus the cost. I do love open source software, such as stuff from Sourceforge (SFT - simple feedback trainer is one of my faves), as well as other publicly available programs. It's amazing what student software developers and people who are fed up with the current system will do. Take, for instance, Q-lab, which was conceived when a sound cue op got fed up with his po-dunk little setup and decided to make a free program. Granted, he does have quite a few paid add-ons now, but he originally made it for what most people use it for today - a free program for theater programs that can't afford real deal sound cue software.

Creative commons is full of software. It also contains books, music, all sorts of creative entities avalible for remix replication and non profit explotation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back