sound effect device?

peteskey

i have heard of there being a device for sound effects that you can load an effect to a button (via cd or something) and every time you press that button the effect is played. what is this device called and where can i get my hands on one?

How much cash do your hands have?
It's called an Instant Replay.
http://www.360systems.com/docs/prod_ir_main.html
proxy.php

These types of programs are often called "sound carts." The good news is that there are a number of options out there that are free or cheap. Search for "sound cart" on google (and put "cart" in quotes because Google will think you mean card.

There are also a number of PC based software options if you prefer that approach, even some shareware ones. And this from someone who remembers working with real cart decks! Ah, the days of bulk erasers, leader and winding your own carts using two turntables...

If a PC based system is out of reach, any old (and I mean old) digital sampler will do. I have an ancient Roland MS-1 myself. I got it on eBay for under $50 and the only problem was finding a PCMCIA memory card in the right format, I think that was another US$9 for 640MB. Now I have five banks of eight samples and can have one looping on the internal memory and play single shots from the memory card or vice versa. Works great for livening up the ambients. I can have night sounds looping and drop in an owl hooting or twig snapping as the scrpit calls for it. I can record directly to it from a CD walkman or other source and it has a couple mic inputs as well for capturing live sounds. My Roland was about the oldest, cheapest one I could find. The feature sets increase rapidly as the price goes up. If you're willing to drop a couple hundred on eBay you can get a device that has MIDI control, gobs of internal memory, and some even have sophisticated internal editing tools. You don't have to shell out for broadcast gear to get the job done, a lot of cheap drum machines can take new samples as well. Do a little looking around.

Also check out the Roland Boss SP-303 ... somewhere in the $200-300 range new or used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back