Sound FX organization

Beans45601

At the theatre I work at, we are about to get a new iMac and Qlab. We have a small sound FX library (only about 20 cds worth) that I would like to dump onto that computer. Can anyone recommend any good free organization programs? I'm looking for something that will let me attach tags to the files, so I can just search for "birds" or "thunder", etc. iTunes doesn't support tags, correct? What do you use?

The big one designed for professional use is Soundminer. Industry standard and it's an amazing program for sorting large audio libraries.
Home - Soundminer Storefront

A cheaper program I've used for mac before though is AudioFinder by Iced Audio. I've only used it with Pro Tools for post film sound specifically though. Not sure if any program integrates with Qlab.
Iced Audio - AudioFinder

I'm pretty sure you can actually tag files in iTunes, you just use to go into the info section.

Well it sort of works that is, using the comments or the "grouping" field, you can tag but it looks like it only works with smart playlists

Via tapatalk

Last edited:
OS X Mavericks will allow you to tag files when it's released in the fall.

For the price of an iMac, I'd suggest getting 2 Mac minis- 1 main and 1 backup.

I agree, have seen quite a few theatres now that run the 2 Mac mini set up. Seems to work quite well for them.

Also agree with Josh88, You can use smart playlists and the song 'description' like tags. Have a read of this: "Tag" your songs in iTunes

You can put Spotlight comments on files and using the Search under Finder you will bring up files. The downside is it won't organize by comment and you only see the name of the file not the comments unless you open up the Info pane on the file.

Thanks for the help! The iMac has already been purchased, one of those "we bought this for you, here you go!" type of situations. I'll look at just using iTunes, makes the most sense it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back