Sound gear setup

Houdini

My church seats a small congregation of 150 in a 70 by 70ft space. Gear consists of 10 mics (3wireless and 7wired with 30ft cables and 100ft snake) and 1 keyboard feeding into a Mackie CFX20, into a dbx PA, into a Yorkville amp, into a pair of yorkville E210s main and 4 YX15 monitors. Outside these, there is a drum set without mics and bass guitar with a 400W monitor.

Looking to control the over-imposing dums with a cage, mics, and 700W subwoofer. Also, the wired mics (Shure beta) sound substandard compared with the wireless mics.

Is there anything wrong with the set-up. Thanks for your suggestions.

The theater space I've worked in for the past three years is 45x65. Uncontrolled drums and bass have been very difficult, with an added 125-150Hz resonance in the room to make it worse. One one occasion, though, we had an electronic drum set and bass with DI, and it made all the difference. Changed the sound a bit, but now I had pretty much full control at the board. Something to think about if you have the same issues (sounds like you do with the drums already ...).

Also, the wired mics (Shure beta) sound substandard compared with the wireless mics.

I've never heard a wireless that sounded as good as a wired, unless the wireless was a top-of-the-line unit and had a much better capsule than the wired mic.

What sub are you thinking of adding?

Unless the drums are exceedingly well tuned (very rare IME), once you mic them, you'll need gates to control the sustain/ring. I like the Rane G4. The Behringers are actually usable, and are cheap.

I'd look carefully at where you see yourself going in terms of services, technology, facilities, etc. Try to develop a long term plan, it may have to morph over time but it is probably better to make decisions based on some longer term goals than just on immediate needs, that way what you do can also be assessed in terms of how it support the long term goals as well.

An example for you might be to look at what you see as a likely direction for the system overall, that way anything you do now can be assessed in terms of how it fits both the long term and short term goals. For example, adding a drum enclosure and mics to what you already have may push the input capability of the existing console, so that might factor into any decisions. And processing for mains and a sub as well as monitors, and perhaps a separate drum monitor feed, would probably push the existing dbx DRPA.

And though this is a sound thread.... Someone in your congrigation will mention enhanced stage lighting, to go along with the enhanced sound. This will require a very close look at available power and needs to be seperate from audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back