Sound insulation/acoustic isolation?

JLNorthGA

Our "Dance studio" is on the 2nd floor above the lobby. I don't really have a problem with that. However, the "dance studio" shares a wall (above the suspended ceiling) with the upper reaches of the auditorium.

We currently don't have any problems. However, in the future, I can foresee that someone may be in the dance studio at the same time we have rehearsals in the auditorium.

The walls are 2 x 4 stud walls with wallboard on the studs. There is nothing on the auditorium side. It would be a PITA to get above the suspended ceiling, but it can be done.

I was wondering if sprayed foam insulation would be sufficient to attenuate the noise. My other thought was getting some blue insulation board up there and screwing it into the studs as well.

Nothing will be cheap. Check out Acousticsfirst.com
Since they offer a wide range of products that probably won't really help unless you know what you are looking for.

Spray foam or insulation would generally be used to absorb sound rather than to prevent its transmission and they would likely do very little as far as isolating sounds. Putting a couple of layers of gypsum board on the unfinished side might be effective.

That may also get into another factor as for life safety spaces like an auditorium typically require a system of partition, entries, penetration sealing, etc. that provides a 1 or 2 hour rated perimeter. I'm trying to understand the construction you actually have because what you noted exists sounds like it might not provide the required separation.

Related to that, for both life safety and acoustics you want to address properly sealing all penetrations, gaps, holes, etc. Small details like this can make all the difference in getting the expected acoustical and fire separation performance.

This is related to my experience of building radio studios. Nothing applied to the wall externally would be effective. Good sound isolation usually requires a second wall to be constructed, but every detail, from how it is attached to the structure, to the materials used, are critical. The web is full of mis-information on noise control measures.

If your expectations are modest, and the sound that needs attenuation is mostly mid and high frequencies, then I would open the wall and install a LOOSE bat (not stuffed tight) of fiberglass insulation. Any penetrations will be the weak points. Electrical boxes, outlets and the like need to be sealed with spray foam. Then, put two layers of sheet rock on, with both layers taped and mudded. Don't overlook ways that sound can travel over or under the wall. This may not be that effective, especially if you are worried about bass frequencies, but it is relatively cheap to try.

If you want reliable and better results. then the construction details have to be far more precise than we could describe here, otherwise you could throw significant money away. Because you want good results for money spent, and because it's a public space where fire safety is important, I would encourage you to hire an acoustical engineer to design it. Most good sized cities have an acoustical firm and noise control is their bread and butter.

This is related to my experience of building radio studios. Nothing applied to the wall externally would be effective. Good sound isolation usually requires a second wall to be constructed, but every detail, from how it is attached to the structure, to the materials used, are critical. The web is full of mis-information on noise control measures.

If your expectations are modest, and the sound that needs attenuation is mostly mid and high frequencies, then I would open the wall and install a LOOSE bat (not stuffed tight) of fiberglass insulation. Any penetrations will be the weak points. Electrical boxes, outlets and the like need to be sealed with spray foam. Then, put two layers of sheet rock on, with both layers taped and mudded. Don't overlook ways that sound can travel over or under the wall. This may not be that effective, especially if you are worried about bass frequencies, but it is relatively cheap to try.

If you want reliable and better results. then the construction details have to be far more precise than we could describe here, otherwise you could throw significant money away. Because you want good results for money spent, and because it's a public space where fire safety is important, I would encourage you to hire an acoustical engineer to design it. Most good sized cities have an acoustical firm and noise control is their bread and butter.

I just need to "minimize" the transfer of noise. The dance studio would have classes/rehearsal with prerecorded music. The auditorium would have people rehearsing.

I guess that translates out to mid and high. The drywall on the one side is fire rated. That means I have to get fire rated drywall on the other side.

That is going to be REAL fun taping and mudding. No acoustical engineers nearby. We're two hours from anywhere.

No acoustical engineers nearby. We're two hours from anywhere.
I've made multiple work related day trips to Young Harris and Hiawassee and according to Google, I believe that you are about 110-120 miles and just over two hours from several acoustical and audio consultants and contractors. You're also probably about half that distance from some audio contractors in Knoxville. And it is probably similar for lighting and rigging. Getting someone else involved or not is something for which you have to assess the potential value, but please do not think that it is not a viable option.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back