Mixers/Consoles Sound mixer makes noise- Allen&Heath GL2400

Our mixer, an Allen&Heath GL2400, makes a loud grinding-like sound when it is turned on. It's like the sound a sheep makes, but lower pitched. It happens when the mixer is turned on and continues for about 20-30 seconds before sort of dwindling out. Just to be clear, it's coming from the inside of the mixer, and not through the audio outputs. Any ideas on what I could be hearing? Other then this the mixer is totally fine.

It is likley a small cooling fan with bad bearings. I don't know how widespread the practice is, but I know there are a few consoles with a fan for the power supply. It's done in an effort to keep the console compact, light weight, and inexpensive. If the fan is making noises, it is getting ready to fail. A dead fan will shorten the life of the power supply.

Fans are relatively easy to replace. If you can locate the exact part that is best. If not, they are made in standard physical configurations and operating voltages that can be matched. The fan wires will have to be cut and spliced with solder and shrink tubing. I don't know if A & H parts are easy for an end user to obtain, but that would be the place to start.

My rant for manufacturers: In recent years, small fans have becoming the most common failure point in electronic equipment. If a fan is put into a piece of equipment, it needs to be of decent quality! I have seen fans run for decades and I have seen them repeatedly fail in a few months. The latter is all too common. Audio equipment is assumed to be silent in operation. If it isn't, disclose that in the specifications. Nothing ticks me off more than to get a noise maker that I can't use in a quiet studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back